Nexus 5 Marshmallow, home button not working and many more problems...

tokiyoshi

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue and something I did managed to fix it.

I was in safe mode and cleared up storage space and force closed all the google apps, the moto app and then restarted. I went into the guest mode and it showed quick settings and when I came back to my normal profile it began working again. If I was to guess I think that the moto app is the culprit because it asked me to redo inital settings for it when I was able to use my phone normally again.

Wish you all the best of luck

Yorlik Jr

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone! So I fixed the problem a few weeks ago and totally forgot to post it. Yes you will have to do a factory reset, but as my phone also did not allow me to this, I had to do an external factory reset. I'm running on a Moto G3 on Marshmallow. Here's the instructions on how to do this:

This reset will require a minimum battery level of 25%.

1. With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.

2. Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Recovery mode"

3. Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.

4. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

5. While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.

6. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button to select it.

7. Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power button to select it.

Evan Broussard

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I Have found a working fix for this issue. Though a bit of a work around.

Open the settings app and change users from there to guest user, you should regain your notifications panel, (your home button may still not work)
Then delete guest user from notifications and switch back to your main user account.
If your home button still does not work properly, enable usb debugging and connect to your pc
You need to run these commands in ADB prompt from windows:

adb shell
su root
am start -n com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardTestActivity

Your Adb Console should look like this:
View attachment 222830

you should now see the new phone setup wizard, once you finish going through the process all your apps and everything will still be there and your home button should work once again.

I do not know why but running these commands as a regular user did not start the setup activity for me. You may be able to try just running it as a regular user if you do not have root:

adb shell
am start -n com.google.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardTestActivity

But your mileage may vary.

Fillkay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. This seems to have worked for my wife's Moto G3. Any ideas as to the cause and what, I wonder is Motorola doing about the problem, as it is clearly an issue for more than just one?

Ederht

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Question:

I've notticed that changing to guest user my notification bar came back. Home button still not working, but my pc don't recognize my phone, so how can I do to run those commands on ADB?

I'm getting tired, I'm about to get factory reset!

Last edited:

saibal bose1

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I am too facing the following problems on moto x play:
1 Home button not working
2 The button beside which brings up the opened app windows not working
3 Hearing notification from apps like fb watsapp etc butnot seeing them
4 The touch is not working for opening the small icons at the top right corner battery data etc
5 lock screen not working
6 phone responds as busy when someone calls me
Please tell me which fix is working. I am feeling hopeless here

yuvamysterio

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
i am not able to find users under the settings-> device.
and my phone is not getting detected in my pc.

moto g3.

another problem is, i am not able to receive the call.

thanks in advance for your help/suggestion.

ShovAndroid

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Was 6.0 released without any lab testing? How is Motorola going to pay for the loss of data? Very very dissatisfied. Motorola has to come up with a roll back feature for this or better provide a hotfix.

Trekest

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Had the exact same problem on my Nexus 9, starting the setupwizard activity through ADB solved it.
Man this is ******* stupid...

How on earth did you figure this out? I never would have thought of that.

yuvamysterio

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
hey Trekest,

can you help me that ADB stuff ?

I have never tried of running commands from my pc.

Please tell me how do you manage to connect your mobile to your PC ?

Thanks in advance!!

yuvamysterio

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
thank you.
however i was not able to connect to my pc.
allow usb connection pop up - i did not get this in my phone (where that shows the RSA connection).

i will try to do it someway or i have to do FDR.

yuvamysterio

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I was not able to do any adb.

since no notifications, after i connect usb, and selecting usb debugging, usually there will be a pop up to ask user to select allow abcdee::12232::sdsd:fdsf system to use debugging. but i was not getting this option.

also i tried to use the adb keys from another working mobile. there is way to copy and use that adb key.
but it was not success.

finally i went with factory reset... even that button was disabled. then i had to do factory reset.

LakeSnake

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I Have found a working fix for this issue. Though a bit of a work around.

Open the settings app and change users from there to guest user, you should regain your notifications panel, (your home button may still not work)

I'm having these same problems. How do you change users? For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

LakeSnake

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, had some problems.
1. "1) Download Nova Launcher & set it as default to replace TouchWiz."
how do you do this? I downloaded nova and the home screen looks different. Under App Info, it says "Open by default Some defaults set"
--so was I successful on this step?

2. I otherwise followed the directions.
when I tapped on the Android widget, I got:
"Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped."