Google App GPS Battery Drain

Joshua Hankins 10

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I have recently purchased the nexus 5x and for the first couple of weeks I have been extremely impressed by the phone - especially the battery life.

However for some reason after a recent update, my battery life has decreased drastically. After looking into battery usage, I have found that the google app is now consistently draining 800 mAh per charge. One reason for this could be the constant use of GPS (shown in my images below) even after I disabled google now cards.

Any suggestions as to why the google app us constantly using GPS and draing such a large amount of my battery would be much appreciated!

Battery drain photos:

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have recently purchased the nexus 5x and for the first couple of weeks I have been extremely impressed by the phone - especially the battery life.

However for some reason after a recent update, my battery life has decreased drastically. After looking into battery usage, I have found that the google app is now consistently draining 800 mAh per charge. One reason for this could be the constant use of GPS (shown in my images below) even after I disabled google now cards.

Any suggestions as to why the google app us constantly using GPS and draing such a large amount of my battery would be much appreciated!

Battery drain photos:

Welcome to Android Central!

Have you tried clearing the data from the app to reset it? Sometimes after an update some apps get a little screwy.

Drdanchaz

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing the same issue. The things i did to try and solve the problem:
  • Cleared Cache and data
  • Turned off location in toggles
  • Turned off google now Location cards
  • Denied GPS permission for the Google App
All with no result. Still the app shows GPS usage for up to 8 hours and 8/900 mAh. It does seem, that this problem occured after updating to 6.0.1

Do you still have the issue?

*edit : i am also using a Nexus 5X

shormock

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I was having the exact same problem on my Moto G4 Plus with Android 6.0.1.
My idle battery charge was taking around 2-3 days to drain fully. After solving this problem it went to 10 days.

The Google App GPS was always the one taking the biggest battery slice.
I tried turning off all location services on the phone, including all Location options under Settings and other linked options menus (such as from Google Maps).
It made no difference, Google App GPS was still working.
I used SD Maid App Control (with root) to freeze Google App. It made no difference. I used SD Maid to kill / stop the process. It made no difference. The zombie process was still using GPS while dead and with the Location permissions turned off. In each step I restarted the phone just in case.

At this point I was really curious and turned off every single permission Google App had. Then it finally stopped doing this really shady GPS stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome