201.34 MB junks found! Recommend to clean

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I ditched ES months ago when I started getting suspicious that this app was "free" yet is so full featured. Then I dug further and found out that ES sends data in the background to the developer's China based server so they can sell it to ad companies. I didn't see overt ads yet it was still collecting data for sale. They just chose to do it in the background rather than opting to display open ads. I've since switched to FX file explorer which monetizes through selling addons rather than user data and it's just as good as ES with less bloat.

I suspect something in marshmellow stopped ES from being able to datamine users in the background and forced them to openly show ads instead which is why you're seeing this now

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Ah, okay... It seems to be something recently added to ES File Explorer app.

There are a number of complaints about it in the app's recent reviews: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&token=mwbkZ8Cr

I can confirm this. And ES File Explorer is now uninstalled.

Yup, got the same notification on my Note 10.1 (2014) that's still on KK, got it shortly after I installed the ES File Explorer update. I promptly REMOVED the app from both devices. Now need to find a new file app. There's a Reddit thread on this topic, folks are suggesting FX File Explorer and Solid Explorer.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm this. And ES File Explorer is now uninstalled.

Yeah me too. From my wife's Nexus 5 yesterday and from my Nexus 6P just now; my phone installed the latest update during the night and I awoke this morning to the same offer to "clean" my device.

It's too bad as I find having some kind of file browser on my phone very useful at times. I'll have to see what else is available.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Good info. I just uninstalled ES from my 6P. I'm trying File Manager by Asus' Zen Phone team. It seems really good, has no ads, and is free.

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is why I don't allow apps to auto-update. If there's a new feature I don't want then there's no reason to update. Even then, something like this should not be enabled by default, which is appears to be. It should be a pop-up informing of the new feature and how to activate, if you so choose, but should remain off by default.

Thanks for posting - I uninstalled the app even though it had not updated. Plenty of other File Managers for me to use.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The "FX Plus" add-on adds media management, network (FTP, SFTP, SMB, WebDAV) and cloud capabilities (Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Box, SugarSync). The "Plus" add-on is a paid app (with a 7-day free trial).
It is useless to me. I use this all the time. I am tired of these free apps selling out all the time on Android. Many apps I got for free on iOS that stayed free to me even after they switched to pay but on Android not one app ever stayed free. It either got ads that I had to pay for or spyware. Maybe I will go back to Apple's strict app store policy's where I get updates day 1 and I can do a full complete backup without losing any app data. Now I understand why they are so strict they would have not allowed this crap.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Since this is posted in the Marshmallow thread , I'll ask, can't you just turn off some of the app permissions you don't want? Thought that was part of 6.0.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Since this is posted in the Marshmallow thread , I'll ask, can't you just turn off some of the app permissions you don't want? Thought that was part of 6.0.

Turning off app permissions is different from disabling an entire part of an app. Unfortunately, turning off the permission that would disable the ability to scan for junk to delete would also disable the main capability of the app (file access).

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Good info. I just uninstalled ES from my 6P. I'm trying File Manager by Asus' Zen Phone team. It seems really good, has no ads, and is free.
I did clean the junk files when the alert showed up. I though since it was from ES File Explorer it was okay. I hope now I don't have no Chinese spyware on my phone. I blame Google and there stupid open platform for allowing this on there so called safe Play Store.

Thank you using that gets me cloud storage management.

check out Cabinet. Open sourced, Material Design and I found through Jerry I believe. :)
Thanks for this too. Does not have cloud storage but it is great to manage local content.

I already uninstalled ES File Explorer and ES Task Manger (does not work no more clean temp files or anything else does nothing). Now I have to go through the mess of getting rid of these junk apps on my parents phone.

I just hope the two new file managers I am replacing with don't get greedy and start pushing ads. If they do it is a immediate delete.

bobdrad

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This is why I don't allow apps to auto-update. If there's a new feature I don't want then there's no reason to update.

I wish you were kidding. The single most important reason to update is to receive security patches. Unless you are completely OCD and closely monitoring the patch history for every single app you own, you'll miss a patch which closes a known security vulnerability.

So it's important to leave automatic updates on. Sometimes this means you'll get a new feature you didn't want, or lose one you relied on, but that's better than leaving your front door open to hackers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx