Missing videos in Marshmallow / google photos

Noteable

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Since getting the nexus 6p, I've found that there is no proper gallery for photos and videos. There is only google photos. Which is ok for pictures, but for some reason, the videos that I have taken with the camera do not show up. In fact, they're very hard to find. I can find them by opening the camera and browsing from there, which is a bit inconvenient. They are stored in the DCIM directory together with the photos so I don't see why they shouldn't show. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a music player, either. I'm guessing 3rd party apps are the way to go. This is the first time I've a stock Android device, I'm used to using Samsungs Touchwiz and plain Android really does seem lacking though I suppose that may be the point of it. Any thoughts or ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! When you open the Photos app, swipe in from the left and tap Device Folders. The videos should be easily visible in the Camera folder. (The default view of the Photos app is your entire Google Photos cloud, which can be unwieldy if you have tons of photos stored in the cloud.)

Noteable

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The videos and photos are in the same folder but the videos do not show up, only the photos. I've no intention of using cloud backup, it's too much of a pain, takes too long to upload stuff. And, from what I can tell, the freebie storage in google doesn't even store the photos in their original resolution. I would much rather deal with local storage. I have a few large videos and I don't want them uploaded, also none of the photos are important. I copy what I need to my computer and delete the rest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's odd--the videos should show up. When you go to Device Folders, you're tapping the dimmed photo at the lower right, with the superimposed number, right? That opens the entire Camera directory for viewing.

Google Photos gives you unlimited cloud storage for photos if you upload them in "High Quality," which means any resolution up to 16 MP. That's pretty high res, and the minimal amount of compression that occurs with 16 MP and below pics is negligible. If you'd rather deal with local storage, then remember to back up your photos regularly, because you never know if or when flash memory will fail.