I understand that it's because Android lets the phone makers have their own custom skin, versus with Apple, they control everything so they can release it to all devices at once. But how come Android updates are also controlled by the carrier, but Apples aren't? I can see the phone makers like Samsung, LG, etc, putting their own custom skin on, but what do the carriers do to the phone that they have control over the final update? Why don't carriers matter with iPhones?
    tonyr6 likes this.
    12-26-2015 01:18 AM
    So they can see if it still functions with their bloatware I suspect.
    12-26-2015 02:55 AM
    Android is more flexible, maybe that's why..
    12-26-2015 06:33 AM
    Google will need to implement a new OS similar to Windows 10 mobile and iOS in which OS updates can be pushed to the phones and are not controlled by the carriers. They should had done this years ago because when you leave a phone without security updates it can jeopardized a phone to malware and others threats.
    12-26-2015 08:50 AM
    Apple wants to control everything? Hard to believe, isn't it? I got my last maor update, Android 6, three days after the release. I can live with that.
    12-26-2015 08:59 AM
    There are a few reasons:

1. There are hundreds of different Android device models out there, each with slightly or significantly different hardware. On top of that, individual manufacturers as well as carriers add their own modifications to the base Android code (like additional features or entire apps). In order for a system update released by Google to make it to a non-Nexus device, the manufacturer has to modify the base code to make sure it works correctly on its hardware (and cooperates with its other proprietary software), and then (assuming it's a carrier-specific device) the carrier has to make sure the code works with its own software. As you can imagine, this can be a long process, and for many non-flagship devices, it just isn't worthwhile for the manufacturer nor the carrier. This is a nice graphic representation from HTC: HTC Software Updates Process | HTC United States

2. On the other hand, there's really only one iPhone (regardless of the generation). Apple has total control over its hardware, so it's much easier to send out updates broadly, and there's little or no tweaking that has to be done based on the carrier.

3. Remember also that Google Play Services updates have offloaded a lot of what system updates used to be required for: http://www.androidcentral.com/genius...-play-services. In addition, more and more manufacturers are making some of their basic apps (like the Phone Dialer app, Contacts, etc.) available for update in the Google Play Store. So actual system updates from Google are more for major system upgrades, rather than small incremental updates here and there.
    12-26-2015 05:43 PM
    Mostly bloatware.
    12-28-2015 02:08 PM
    This is what happens with Open Source.
    Laura Knotek and B. Diddy like this.
    12-28-2015 02:21 PM
    2. On the other hand, there's really only one iPhone (regardless of the generation). Apple has total control over its hardware, so it's much easier to send out updates broadly, and there's little or no tweaking that has to be done based on the carrier.
    I would add to this that Google does not generate the phones being used, thus has no contact with the carriers, the phone manufacturers do. If you combine Samsung's (the biggest Android OEM) entire portfolio of models, they still sell less phones than Apple does, thus Apple has the clout to push their will through the carriers in a way that no other manufacturer does. Apple is the 800 pound gorilla of phone manufacturing.
    12-28-2015 02:58 PM
    Guys - before a carrier can block an update, an OEM has to actually put resources at making the update. It's so easy to blame the carriers.
    12-28-2015 04:12 PM
    I want to know why the updates always start in Europe??
    12-30-2015 11:44 AM
    I want to know why the updates always start in Europe??
    Less carrier specific models possibly?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    12-30-2015 12:23 PM
    I understand that it's because Android lets the phone makers have their own custom skin, versus with Apple, they control everything so they can release it to all devices at once. But how come Android updates are also controlled by the carrier, but Apples aren't? I can see the phone makers like Samsung, LG, etc, putting their own custom skin on, but what do the carriers do to the phone that they have control over the final update? Why don't carriers matter with iPhones?
    Because as was said, Apple completely controls both the hardware and the software. Since they do, if carriers want to sell the iPhone, they *have* to get it from Apple, and Apple won't allow them to muck with it. And no carrier is going to shoot themselves in the foot by saying "We won't sell the iPhone unless we can put our crap on it," because they'll just end up losing the iPhone as an option and their customers will jump ship to elsewhere.

Since Android is open source and *so* many companies produce android phones, it now becomes the opposite. If a phone manufacturer says "We don't want your crap on our phones", then the carriers can say "Then we won't sell them, because there are 12 other manufacturers of Android phones who let us." Therefore, the companies would lose markets and sales, and that wouldn't please any of their shareholders.

If you want timely Android updates and no carrier crap, get a Nexus phone.
    B. Diddy and LeoRex like this.
    12-30-2015 11:40 PM