Hi,

I have a weird behavior on one of our two Nexus 5 since upgrading to Android 6.0: I cannot see the files (pictures, videos, etc.) from Windows explorer (on Windows 10 and on Windows 7).

Of course, I selected "File transfers (MTP)" to make sure I was able to see the Internal Storage from my computer. I can browse the folders without any glitch, but most appear as EMPTY! In reality, they aren't empty.

If I use an app to browse local memory (such as non-native File Manager), I can see all my pictures in dcim/Camera, and I see other media files in folders (pictures, movies, music) I had previously created and populated under Android Lollipop. The stock photo app also allows me to see the pictures I take with my camera.

But, when I use file explorer from my PC, all those folders are EMPTY. I am able to see SOME files however (such as the one under This PC\Nexus 5\Internal storage\MapsWithMe\150713".

I don't doubt my PC configuration because:
    1- I tried on 2 different PCs and the behavior is the same
    2- It was working fine for both PCs before Android 6.0 upgrade
    3- I do not see the same behavior with my OTHER Nexus 5 phone (different phone,different user, different apps installed, but same OS) where I can still browse all my pictures from my camera, and other files I have installed.

It makes no sense and I do not see what I can do to debug this further.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    12-27-2015 01:03 PM
    If the problem phone is the only one on 6.0, make sure you're running the newest USB drivers on your PC.
    12-28-2015 12:28 PM
    Both phones are identical: Same hardware, same OS. Only the user's specific apps differ, which should not impact USB transfer.
    01-07-2016 07:51 PM
    With the latest Android update, I'm now seeing this problem also on my 2nd Nexus 5 phone. I now have 2 phones from which I cannot transfer files through the USB cable. I've tried different cable and different PC, but the drop-down option (where you can select charging only, file transfer, photo transfer, etc) never appears. Tried rebooting the phone.

This started happening just after the latest update to 6.0.1 build number mmb29v.

Thanks
    03-17-2016 04:15 PM
    With the latest Android update, I'm now seeing this problem also on my 2nd Nexus 5 phone. I now have 2 phones from which I cannot transfer files through the USB cable. I've tried different cable and different PC, but the drop-down option (where you can select charging only, file transfer, photo transfer, etc) never appears. Tried rebooting the phone.

This started happening just after the latest update to 6.0.1 build number mmb29v.

Thanks
    I was running into the exact issue that you're experiencing with your phone earlier this week.

Here is what I did to remedy this for me.
    1. Change to the cable that originally came with my Nexus 5. I had been using the cable that I had used with my Moto X before.
    2. When the phone is connected to the computer, you should see something showing how USB is working on your phone. It will normally say "USB for charging" when you first connect the phone to the computer. Make sure that you change it to File Transfer (MTP).

Once I did those things, my phone and my computer started getting along with each other just fine.

By the way, I do have the 6.0.1 marshmallow with Nexus build number mmb29v.

CIndy
    03-18-2016 05:20 PM