This may have already been asked, yet I just can't seem to find it yet, BUT.. for those that have made the jump to marshmallow, or bought a new Nexus device already running it, how does the Ambient display work for notifications?

Short backstory, I'm currently looking for something to replace my aging iPhone 4 and have narrowed it down to either the Nexus 5X or the 2015 Moto X Pure. The Moto has appealed to me because of the customization factor for the device, and their moto add-ins like moto voice and moto display that I've heard good things about. I've recently read though that claim Marshmallow now includes an Ambient display notification system similar to motorola's moto display, however I haven't been able to find a video comparing them side by side for what is actually different. One article I ran across had a screen shot of MM notifications, which looked more integrated on the lock / off screen similar to how iOS operates. which may make the decision more difficult between the 5x and MXPE.

So my questions are kind of as follows:

1) Obviously, how does the intereaction with the notifications differ between MM's Ambient and Motodisplay?
    2) in either case, can you choose the extent of the notifications verbiage? (As in ... "Missed call" vs "Missed call from John Smith", and "New Text" vs "New text from wife: Please pick up spare ribs on way home"
    3) Also in either case, if you power up the screen to read the mesasges, do they "go away", or do they stay on the lock screen until you unlock the device?

Sorry for the questions, most of my android friends have rooted and booted and whatever their phones, and the local stores only have Samsungs, Apples or windows phones sooo.... not much of an outlet for pure android hands on.
    12-28-2015 08:12 PM
    Ambient Display is more just a notification display. Once you interact with the screen, you drop into the full lockscreen.. Where you can launch the notifications action, unlock the phone, etc. When it fires, it'll timeout if you don't touch the screen.

Moto's version is a bit more robust, more a lock screen replacement.

There should be quite a few YouTube videos though...

Of the two, Motorola's is a bit more feature laden, and it fires under more scenarios (like waving your hand in front of the display). Of the two, I guess Moto Display is 'better', but AD is still a nice feature.
    12-29-2015 12:31 AM