Adoptable Storage Questions

ngnetzky

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I recently upgraded my 2015 Moto G (8gb/1gb version) to Android 6 (Marshmallow). Since the internal memory is so low on this phone, i was playing around with the Adoptable Storage Feature of Android 6. I have noticed, even with the sd card adopted as internal storage, alot of apps refuse to be placed on the sd card. Apple Music, Rhapsody, WhatsApp, BBM, iHeartRadio, and Starbucks, just to name a few. They all get installed to Internal Memory, and their location can't be changed.

1) What's the point of Adoptable Storage, if most apps refuses to be installed on the SD Card?
2) Does this behavior change, if the internal memory is all used up? Will the app than allow itself to be installed to the SD Card? or will the App refuse to be installed?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded my 2015 Moto G (8gb/1gb version) to Android 6 (Marshmallow). Since the internal memory is so low on this phone, i was playing around with the Adoptable Storage Feature of Android 6. I have noticed, even with the sd card adopted as internal storage, alot of apps refuse to be placed on the sd card. Apple Music, Rhapsody, WhatsApp, BBM, iHeartRadio, and Starbucks, just to name a few. They all get installed to Internal Memory, and their location can't be changed.

1) What's the point of Adoptable Storage, if most apps refuses to be installed on the SD Card?
2) Does this behavior change, if the internal memory is all used up? Will the app than allow itself to be installed to the SD Card? or will the App refuse to be installed?

Welcome to Android Central!

I believe they cant be moved because certain apps need to be on the internal storage to work properly. Its up to the dev to allow the app to be moved I believe.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
why would devs need to allow anything ? isn't the SD card formatted and ciphered/locked so there's no way to use the data outside the phone that particular device ?

also, how's device responsiveness and speed after turning this feature on ? (with a UHS-I Class 10 card) is it slower/sluggish compared to "internal storage only" ?

when I installed M on my devices I always opted for "external storage", I don't think having apps in the SD card is a good idea, specially since they're not fully moved there.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1