07-26-2016 09:14 PM
84 1234
tools
    I have problems with m in adoptive mode as some apps disappear when putting them there and I have problems with the system itself deciding which ones to put there automatically. Sometimes it will put an app that should be internal and it will screw it up, will not boot up, and have to reset data. It's half baked, at least on some devices.

In portable mode you can no longer move apps to the sdcard so in my mind they did not fix sdcard issues, I had less issues with lollipop pertaining to sdcard. If they would bring back the ability to move apps to the dcard in portable mode I would be happy, but now they are forcing you to go to adoptive if you need space for apps and it's still buggy.
    Google is "trying" to make it as frustrating as possible to have SD Cards in your Android devices (as portable, external storage, mind you) maybe because security/DRM issues or copyright/devs/publishers pressure, who knows, but this can't be a simple "oversight" or a "bug". On Marshmallow, SD cards simply won't work right when formatted as "external", portable storage devices... not even Google cares about their own Google Play Musics failing to download offline music to the SD Card anymore (almost 4 months bugged and counting), I wouldn't be surprised if next GPM update came with this feature removed for all Android versions altogether.
    02-03-2016 05:29 PM
    I agree 100%. And when you format them as adoptable you lose some of the benefits of an external card, like a storage for backups. If the phone will not boot up you lose everything internally and externally. I live in a country where the internet is horrible, downloading all the apps to restore a phone takes days.

There are also apps that are not ready for adoptive mode. For example apus browser has no settings to pick a download folder and it downloads to an internal folder, You cannot access internal in adoptive mode so you cannot access what you just downloaded.

Google is "trying" to make it as frustrating as possible to have SD Cards in your Android devices (as portable, external storage, mind you) maybe because security/DRM issues or copyright/devs/publishers pressure, who knows, but this can't be a simple "oversight" or a "bug". On Marshmallow, SD cards simply won't work right when formatted as "external", portable storage devices... not even Google cares about their own Google Play Musics failing to download offline music to the SD Card anymore (almost 4 months bugged and counting), I wouldn't be surprised if next GPM update came with this feature removed for all Android versions altogether.
    02-03-2016 06:57 PM
    Heck No! I would never in any other way be in the 1. 2 % of the worlds population. An achievement I'm quite Honored to be part of.
    02-03-2016 08:52 PM
    I agree 100%. And when you format them as adoptable you lose some of the benefits of an external card, like a storage for backups. If the phone will not boot up you lose everything internally and externally. I live in a country where the internet is horrible, downloading all the apps to restore a phone takes days.

There are also apps that are not ready for adoptive mode. For example apus browser has no settings to pick a download folder and it downloads to an internal folder, You cannot access internal in adoptive mode so you cannot access what you just downloaded.
    a lot of apps that used the SD card for storage are having issues when Marshmarllow is installed, it looks like Google "forgot" that SD cards are quite popular among Android users since like forever... can you believe they didn't test their own Google Play Music app before delivering Marshmallow ? Also, it's embarrassing that even in "adoptable" mode the SD Card is sometimes not recognized and you have to download again all the apps, Marshmallow is not ready to use, it's full of bugs, half-baked, immature and defective... (and now Nexus users come and tell us how awesome Marshmallow is... of course, it's optimized for them, but the problem is the other billion devices which are not part of the Nexus family).
    BlueAlchemy17 likes this.
    02-04-2016 06:40 AM
    I spent a couple of hours with a friend who develops "modest" apps for Android, he told me Marshmallow is so terrible and "vague" when it comes to SD Card management in portable mode that devs are practically forced to ignore SD Cards from now on, I guess I was right when I said Google is trying to get rid of External SD Cards support in Android. For now they would allow ciphered and locked SD cards to expand internal storage and that's it, even with bugs that delete all the apps in the "adoptable" mode... also, I bet this feature won't be present in Android N.
    BlueAlchemy17 likes this.
    02-04-2016 11:55 AM
    http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/01...er-nexus-line/

I guess if Apple doesn't use it ------

I haven't tangled with it yet. I did order a phone that I suspect does have it. I updated a Nexus 4 to the Cyanogenmod version of 5.1.1 and it is some piece of work.

I've been too lazy to root my phone, so I'm on 4,3 and I like it. (you had to root to unify storage to update)
    02-05-2016 06:10 PM
    Exactly. Android is so fragmented that it can depend on the device or even the apps you run. I don't like the direction it is going with marshmallow, just have to see what they do with any updates.

a lot of apps that used the SD card for storage are having issues when Marshmarllow is installed, it looks like Google "forgot" that SD cards are quite popular among Android users since like forever... can you believe they didn't test their own Google Play Music app before delivering Marshmallow ? Also, it's embarrassing that even in "adoptable" mode the SD Card is sometimes not recognized and you have to download again all the apps, Marshmallow is not ready to use, it's full of bugs, half-baked, immature and defective... (and now Nexus users come and tell us how awesome Marshmallow is... of course, it's optimized for them, but the problem is the other billion devices which are not part of the Nexus family).
    David Alfredo likes this.
    02-07-2016 12:52 PM
    I haven't upgrade to android 6 yet, I received a notification to tell me upgrade on my Nexus 5. Should I upgrade it after reading all the comment from this forum?
    02-10-2016 05:23 AM
    I haven't upgrade to android 6 yet, I received a notification to tell me upgrade on my Nexus 5. Should I upgrade it after reading all the comment from this forum?
    Nexus 5 ? Definitely yes !! there's no issues with Marshmallow upgrades on the Nexus 5, enjoy !
    eviltony likes this.
    02-10-2016 07:32 AM
    I have absolutely no regrets updating to Marshmallow on my 2013 Nexus 7 and 2014 Moto X. They both run great.
    02-11-2016 10:44 AM
    No problem with my nexus 7, still good as it is. I will tell orpost here if there's a minor bug.
    02-11-2016 12:18 PM
    I found a workaround. Leave the SD card as media only, but stick all the backups from a prior phone on the card. Then using a pc in file transfer mode, put the backups in the appropriate files on the internal SD card. Pocket Money gave you the exact location of where it expected the file to be.
    I got all my backups.

I don't care for all the integration. I'm not a typical user and I use the device as a reference manual and phone.
    02-13-2016 07:50 AM
    On my Nexus 5, I have had bluetooth issues ever since the 6.0 update. 6.0.1 fixed most of them, but I still have issues when streaming music in the car while a call comes in. If I hang up, the music stream freezes and I have to pull the phone out of my pocket and "unpause" or move to the next track before the car controls will work again.
    02-13-2016 09:55 AM
    I upgraded twice to 6.0 and rolled back to 5.1.1, to me there's no tangible benefits, 5.1.1 is already good enough and 6.0.x is still immature and with bugs...

what's your experience ? do you regret upgrading too ?
    I have 2 Moto g3 8Gb....I got my 6 update some time ago and had I been aware of where it was going before pushing the update button, I wouldn't have gone there.
    My phones were really functionong well with 5.1.1 and after discovering that I didn't need all the bells and whistles that 6.0 offered, I was sorry I went there.
    I never had a battery problem and some of the Moto apps that were removed were helpful.
    As was discussed at length in this post, many different strokes for different folks.

My question to you is...since I'm not rooted and seeming locked into 6.0 on both my phones, how did you downgrade back to 5.1.1?
    On some forum I read that I could take my phones to an authorized Moto repair facility and they would put the stock os back in. I only find authorized agent facilities but not factory.
    Any info appreciated....thanks.
    02-14-2016 12:53 PM
    I'm not david, but you need to flash back to lollipop with fastboot. It looks like a long, drawn out thing but it's really not bad. Especiall when you get fastboot and adb in stalled and then everything downloaded. You just do commands and it just takes a few minutes. You do not need to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader, this is how moto says to do it.

[Guide] How to Flash Stock Firmware of Moto G 3rd Gen 2015 [All Variants] | Gammerson

I can't go into a lot of details because I use mac but it's pretty much the same with slightly different terminal/command prompt commands and the instructions at the link are really good and someone has already extracted the files from the firmware. So they have done it better than I would have.

I have 2 Moto g3 8Gb....I got my 6 update some time ago and had I been aware of where it was going before pushing the update button, I wouldn't have gone there.
    My phones were really functionong well with 5.1.1 and after discovering that I didn't need all the bells and whistles that 6.0 offered, I was sorry I went there.
    I never had a battery problem and some of the Moto apps that were removed were helpful.
    As was discussed at length in this post, many different strokes for different folks.

My question to you is...since I'm not rooted and seeming locked into 6.0 on both my phones, how did you downgrade back to 5.1.1?
    On some forum I read that I could take my phones to an authorized Moto repair facility and they would put the stock os back in. I only find authorized agent facilities but not factory.
    Any info appreciated....thanks.
    02-14-2016 01:48 PM
    Nope. 6.0.1 runs great on my nexus 6. Double tap power to launch camera is very convenient and only lose 2-4% battery overnight.
    02-14-2016 01:59 PM
    Nope. 6.0.1 runs great on my nexus 6. Double tap power to launch camera is very convenient and only lose 2-4% battery overnight.
    well... it's a Nexus. Using 5.1.1 on my Moto G 2015 with everything enabled I only lose 3-5% battery overnight (9+ hours).
    02-14-2016 02:14 PM
    well... it's a Nexus. Using 5.1.1 on my Moto G 2015 with everything enabled I only lose 3-5% battery overnight (9+ hours).
    What do you mean by "well...it's a Nexus"?
    02-14-2016 02:23 PM
    Nexus runs stock android and android is optimized for nexus devices, everything else is back in the line. Typically android will run better on a nexus even though nothing is 100%.

I think THATS what he was implying.

I charge overnight so don't lose anything.
    02-14-2016 02:33 PM
    No one has dug in and screwed up the software?
    02-14-2016 02:42 PM
    I'm not david, but you need to flash back to lollipop with fastboot. It looks like a long, drawn out thing but it's really not bad. Especiall when you get fastboot and adb in stalled and then everything downloaded. You just do commands and it just takes a few minutes. You do not need to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader, this is how moto says to do it.

[Guide] How to Flash Stock Firmware of Moto G 3rd Gen 2015 [All Variants] | Gammerson

I can't go into a lot of details because I use mac but it's pretty much the same with slightly different terminal/command prompt commands and the instructions at the link are really good and someone has already extracted the files from the firmware. So they have done it better than I would have.
    Thanks for your reply. I just took a look at the download and have a few questions.

When it indicates typing in the list of commands one by one, do I do that in a string or enter after each line?

Also, in order not to accidently update again when it's offered, is there a way to lock that function?

Again...thanks
    02-14-2016 02:49 PM
    One at a time and wait for that part to flash. You can look under an app called system updates I think it's called and see if you can disable it under the app. I'm not sure if you can or not without rooting since it's a system app. You can also long press on the notification, click on i and see if there is an option to disable. Another option is to look for the app and under apps disable notifications.

Maybe one of those will work.

Thanks for your reply. I just took a look at the download and have a few questions.

When it indicates typing in the list of commands one by one, do I do that in a string or enter after each line?

Also, in order not to accidently update again when it's offered, is there a way to lock that function?

Again...thanks
    02-14-2016 02:54 PM
    No one has dug in and screwed up the software?
    Bingo.
    02-14-2016 02:55 PM
    exactly what others stated above, stock software that hasn't been tinkered with... but nothing is perfect, I had a 5X and it was plagued with issues to the point I had to return it and now I have a Moto G 2015 as a daily driver and couldn't be more happier (on 5.1.1 of course), 4 days battery + 6 hours of screen time consistently with everything enabled, when I had the Nexus it was almost impossible to make it last through a working day.
    02-15-2016 06:09 AM
    Thanks all for the information... I have no complaints right now with LP, I think I will run that for as long as I can.
    02-15-2016 10:16 AM
84 1234