07-26-2016 09:14 PM
84 1234
tools
    No problem with my nexus 5, every thing work well. It's more security than Lollipop
    ptkelly likes this.
    02-15-2016 09:11 PM
    I absolutely despite it - it's enough to send me to Apple!!
    I hate the look and how they've changed the options on some of the features with no explanation of what's happening. The emoticons - urgh!
    But the SD stuff is the real killer. Now, Android has been frustratingly disgusting in its treatment of apps and SD cards before - sick of being capped on how many apps I can have because the O/S takes up the vast majority of the phone and you can't really move apps to sd. Even 'move to SD' barely works - they'll move back when updated.

Marshmallow took everything that was frustrating and unusable in Lollipop's treatment of SD cards and gave it steroids. When I upgraded, i had to copy all my media again because VLC and my music app just couldn't see it any more.

Will rooting overcome these unusable SD card limitations?
    David Alfredo likes this.
    02-17-2016 03:24 AM
    I agree and no, rooting does not overcome it. Rooting only gives root permission for apps that request it.

I rooted my moto x pure, then went back to stock unrooted ota marshmallow for a while. Laggy. I now re rooted and am running a stock, deodexed, debloated mm rom. It runs a lot faster and smoother than ota mn but still the same limitations on storage.

If I can find a lean lollipop I may go back but this rom runs perfect, better than either stock os. I do think doze has some effect so thats why I am using it still on this one.
    02-17-2016 11:48 AM
    Do I regret it? Absolutely!

I have an LG V10. Before the update to Marshmallow, it ran smoothly (except for the fingerprint reader difficulties that are common for the V10). After the update, the fingerprint reader works great but the phone itself is constantly freezing up for a few seconds. Sometimes it's just the touch input that freezes up for a few seconds, other times it's also the display.

Yeah, I do have a lot of apps (nearly 300) but nearly all of them are installed on the 200GB SD card, the internal storage still has nearly 40GB free (total internal storage of the V10 is 64GB), and like I said, it ran smoothly before the update to Marshmallow.

Edit: Okay, a factory reset seems to have fixed the freezing up issue. Now I get the fun of reinstalling my apps *ugh!* I'd restore from backup, but can't help but worry that it might bring the problem right back. Plus, this way I can more readily see if it's an app that was causing the problem.

Another possible problem - the battery seems to be running down much faster and also appears to be taking a lot longer to charge. But, I'm not 100% sure on that.

A really irritating change - On a V10 w/ Lollipop, you can go to Settings/General/Apps and there's a tab for showing you a list of which Apps can be moved to the external SD card, and each one in the list has a place you can tap to move it to the external SD card. After you update to Marshmallow, you have to go to your list of apps, individually tap each app to see where it's installed, then two more taps to move it, then back to the list to go to the next app, etc. What was once quick and easy is now a highly tedious task.
    04-13-2016 01:32 PM
    I upgraded twice to 6.0 and rolled back to 5.1.1, to me there's no tangible benefits, 5.1.1 is already good enough and 6.0.x is still immature and with bugs...

what's your experience ? do you regret upgrading too ?
    Since updating my sprint Note 5 none of my emails or social media will automatically update and even when I try to manually update nothing happens or I get a message saying it can't connect. I have tried changing all settings and nothing has worked.
    04-13-2016 10:26 PM
    Sigh out of your email an sign back in that should stop the problem.
    04-20-2016 05:43 AM
    No regrets. Did a factory reset before the OTA update and phone is snappier than ever.
    ptkelly likes this.
    04-20-2016 09:52 AM
    Well you can see that Google's intention is to take a cue from Apple and eliminate external storage. The fact that their own Nexus devices have never supported microSD is a large indication. there are several reasons for this I think.
    1. "Security". This was the rationale when KitKat stuck up a middle finder at external storage for the first time. Developers were blindsided and faced with the wrath of users who now had apps that couldn't access basic folders, etc, etc. My M7 came out with KitKat and NO STOCK FILE BROWSER...any third party explorer apps from the market didn't have "rights" to the microSD card and couldn't see the card...and there was no stock explorer with rights! Horrible. The issue of "security" is a smoke screen in my opinion.
    2. Google wants everything in the cloud where they have their tentacles on it. In general, money can be made from cloud storage and use...whether the use is paid for directly or it supports ads or data mining. Many users tolerate this but what if you are in areas where you don't have 4GLTE (a LOT of areas) and don't want to chew through 20 gigs of data a month streaming media? I appreciate the speed and convenience of having external memory...especially as most manufacturers' are STILL releasing phones with 16 and 32 gigs of onboard memory! this might be a different discussion if, for another 50 bucks, you could have 256 gigs onboard.
    One of the huge reasons, aside from convenience and data cost, for having microSD, is as a backup if the phone bricks or is damaged. You can always pull the microSD intact and have everything on it accessible anywhere else. ditto for moving to a new phone. Whe want's to manually transfer 150 gigs of media when you can just pop in the old card to a new device.

To me, if microSD support disappears, and manufacturers are still charging huge dollars for another 32 gigs on board...there's nothing in android that's better than apple and I'd probably just go over to the pharm and drink the KoolAid with all the other sheep. Or get a Silent Circle Blackphone.

Glad I saw this discussion as I just got a MotoXPure and was just given the option of upgrading to 6. Clearly I'm going to wait this out.
    Is there a way to eliminate the update request notifications for good? I'm afraid that I'm going to accidentally accept it...or that AT&T will just push it to me anyway.
    04-28-2016 11:10 AM
    Well you can see that Google's intention is to take a cue from Apple and eliminate external storage. The fact that their own Nexus devices have never supported microSD is a large indication. there are several reasons for this I think.
    1. "Security". This was the rationale when KitKat stuck up a middle finder at external storage for the first time. Developers were blindsided and faced with the wrath of users who now had apps that couldn't access basic folders, etc, etc. My M7 came out with KitKat and NO STOCK FILE BROWSER...any third party explorer apps from the market didn't have "rights" to the microSD card and couldn't see the card...and there was no stock explorer with rights! Horrible. The issue of "security" is a smoke screen in my opinion.
    2. Google wants everything in the cloud where they have their tentacles on it. In general, money can be made from cloud storage and use...whether the use is paid for directly or it supports ads or data mining. Many users tolerate this but what if you are in areas where you don't have 4GLTE (a LOT of areas) and don't want to chew through 20 gigs of data a month streaming media? I appreciate the speed and convenience of having external memory...especially as most manufacturers' are STILL releasing phones with 16 and 32 gigs of onboard memory! this might be a different discussion if, for another 50 bucks, you could have 256 gigs onboard.
    One of the huge reasons, aside from convenience and data cost, for having microSD, is as a backup if the phone bricks or is damaged. You can always pull the microSD intact and have everything on it accessible anywhere else. ditto for moving to a new phone. Whe want's to manually transfer 150 gigs of media when you can just pop in the old card to a new device.

To me, if microSD support disappears, and manufacturers are still charging huge dollars for another 32 gigs on board...there's nothing in android that's better than apple and I'd probably just go over to the pharm and drink the KoolAid with all the other sheep. Or get a Silent Circle Blackphone.

Glad I saw this discussion as I just got a MotoXPure and was just given the option of upgrading to 6. Clearly I'm going to wait this out.
    Is there a way to eliminate the update request notifications for good? I'm afraid that I'm going to accidentally accept it...or that AT&T will just push it to me anyway.
    Just as an FYI, Marshmallow is the version in which they fixed how external storage is handled. Making an adoptable storage option eliminates most of the performance and nearly all of the security concerns that come with external storage. The issue of Security is far from a smoke screen - external storage was wildly insecure in many OEM implementations developers were bypassing the sandboxing concept and apps were able to read and write information to places they had no business being. MM fixes that and N improves upon it further.
    electricpete and HiWiz like this.
    04-28-2016 12:11 PM
    absolutely regret it. drains my battery in less than 10 hrs. can't leave home without a charger. this program is trash.
    05-15-2016 07:10 PM
    I just updated my Maxx 2 and so far do not regret it. While it's an incremental upgrade I find the improvements are worthwhile. I'm happy with it so far. Battery life seemed a bit worse initially but it seems to be improving.

I had been thinking I would do a hard reset after the update but so far that doesn't seem necessary.
    05-16-2016 09:49 AM
    Upgraded on Sony Xperia Z5 and everything is working well.
    I like the options and transparency of the new permissions handling. Sony has not implemented the new SD handling in their upgrade so there everything works just like before
    Battery life seems to be better, as promised, but I haven't tested it enough, yet.
    Did the factory reset, it helped me a lot to do a general phone cleaning.
    05-16-2016 05:47 PM
    I upgraded my Nexus 5 to Android 6.0.1 and never had any problems. My Nexus 5x came with 6.0.1 and it isn't having any problems, either.
    05-16-2016 07:47 PM
    I'm using a Note 5 and have had MM for roughly a week now. Certain aspects of it I do like, such as the general interface changes to the notification pulldown and much improved Do Not Disturb.

What I dont like is that many of my apps have stopped working properly now. The stock Samsung Internet app has been playing up, even freezing at times and closing all my open tabs. My Outlook and OpenVPN apps have not been connecting properly. Outlook tells me there's no network and can't connect to the internet when I clearly have a connection. OpenVPN will connect for a minute or two then disconnect and force me to start it again manually.

The battery drain is quite annoying too, feels like I'm using my iPhone 5s again since I'm losing 30% in 1.5 hours with just browsing the web, no YouTube or music.
    05-16-2016 09:12 PM
    I think there are two major factors in whether or not people are happy with Android 6. One is whether they're running straight Android 6, as with a Nexus, or some other company's version of Android.

Another factor is how they use their phone. I don't play games, surf the web much, watch videos, or stream music so I'm happy with the battery life. My Nexus 5x does better than my Nexus 5 did but I don't know if the difference is updates to Android 6 or difference in hardware.

My cell service costs $5.55 USD a month and gives me unlimited phone calls and unlimited texting. But, I have only 300 Mb of data a month. So, I usually do my data intensive stuff when I am on WiFi and that's usually at home so I'm on my desktop computer.
    05-17-2016 05:39 AM
    androidcentral
    05-23-2016 02:22 PM
    absolutely regret it. drains my battery in less than 10 hrs. can't leave home without a charger. this program is trash.
    I thought it was just me!! I literally have to plug my phone into a charger about 3-4 hours in at work to prevent the battery from going dead onw home.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...
    05-23-2016 10:09 PM
    I upgraded twice to 6.0 and rolled back to 5.1.1, to me there's no tangible benefits, 5.1.1 is already good enough and 6.0.x is still immature and with bugs...

what's your experience ? do you regret upgrading too ?
    I do regret, just finished downgrading to lollipop 5.1.1, main reason? BLE, intelligence insult!. How does goggle expect people to accept that BLE now needs localisation services as a must to do an sync of any wearable for example? funny!! Sincerely, do you guys need to know who and where is syncing his watch, SmartBand or whatever personal fitness device trough Bluetooth? Don't you think you overdrive privacy??
    Think we are fool? Keep like this an you will see Android decrease it's market share, on behalf of proprietary legacy OSs again. pity.
    06-07-2016 09:56 PM
    I have to admit I sometimes suffer from 'updatitis' that is to say I go onto Google play and update my apps because I think it will be better.

However, i think if the OS and apps are working fine then that's no reason to update unless you are chasing more the extra functaility or fixing a problem.

My phone the HTC ONE M8 went from KitKat to marshmallow and for all the fanfare I think my phone was best with the OS that is was designed for, KitKat.

I've noticed apps generally getting larger in size meaning that my phone sometimes has to work harder... Also new OS sometimes have extra functaility code that can stress out older hardware too.
    Marshmallow is quite good but I wish I had stuck with KitKat, that was the OS the m8 was designed for...
    06-09-2016 02:55 PM
    MM is awesome on my S5

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2016 04:27 PM
    Nope! It fixed some issues and overall, I am quite happy with it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    HiWiz and badcat like this.
    06-09-2016 04:30 PM
    I regret it because my phone has slowed down dramatically. My text are like 4-5 seconds behind when typing even with the cache cleared and there being tons of space on my phone. I don't get it, there needs to be a patch. Used Textra but same thing happened. I have been using Google Hangouts as a 3rd alternate with some people and no issues.....the texting is just horrible now
    06-10-2016 09:09 PM
    Yeah, for anyone having battery/slowness issues..

Did you wipe the cache partition? That's step 1 in troubleshooting which fixes a lot of issues. How about reformatting? It's a pain, but after such a major upgrade of an OS, its sometimes necessary to ensure there aren't any corrupt settings/files from causing issues.

If people haven't done these basic troubleshooting steps, then the OS really can't be faulted right off the bat. Even iOS (regardless of what Apple would have you think) needs a fresh format and wipe after major OS upgrades on some devices before it works properly.
    badcat likes this.
    06-10-2016 11:06 PM
    I had no regrets going to Android 6 on my Nexus 5. When I got my Nexus 5x I had no desire to roll back to Android 4.4. I'm now enjoying playing with Android N and I'm impressed. There are glitches, it is a beta, but I like it. When it becomes Android 6.6 or whatever I'm sure there will be another thread for people who do want to go back to Android 4.4.
    06-11-2016 06:18 AM
    Works great on Galaxy s5. I like the ability to control what the app is permitted to access and customized what notifications get displayed on the lock screen.
    06-11-2016 10:46 AM
84 1234