When you get used to your phone you realize all the little things that are annoying in every day use.

In a time where phones often go above 5" screen size, why do you think Google sticks with the awkward design choice to put essential menues, settings, notifications as well as quick settings in the top of the screen - out of easy reach compared to the bottom? I have noticed lately that quite often I hold my phone in awkward ways to reach these features properly.

With all the design overhauls Android has been through over the past few years, you'd think Google would realize that this is not a user friendly feature past 2013. And it's not just Google - iOS and Windows 10 Mobile have the same top-screen features.

Do you agree this is a design flaw? Or perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive. I can tell you, now that I got the idea into my head that I should be able to use my phone without training my finger circus skills, sometimes I want to throw my phone out the window.
    03-23-2016 10:13 AM
    I think it's pretty natural. What device are you using? On the Nexus 6P for example, the fingerprint scanner puts your hand in a position where the top is much easier to reach than the bottom when using it one handed.
    03-23-2016 10:32 AM
    Well.. I think Google is moving towards that. They recently moved the G+ controls to the bottom of the screen. Interestingly enough, there were quite a few people that complained about the switch. Recent updates to other apps, like Photos, moved controls to the bottom above the nav bar. And they've added the FAB to some apps, like Inbox, Drive, etc.

But its been slow... maybe Google doesn't want to throw too much, all at once.
    03-23-2016 10:38 AM
    I think it's pretty natural. What device are you using? On the Nexus 6P for example, the fingerprint scanner puts your hand in a position where the top is much easier to reach than the bottom when using it one handed.
    I'm using a Nexus 5 and my hands aren't exactly small. But I sometimes try and compare how I hold my phone most comfortably and how I have to hold it to reach, say, the notification center with my thumb comfortably. I think it's an awkward position.
    03-23-2016 03:55 PM
    I can see where this would be a problem if your preferred method of use is with just one hand and your thumb for all the screen interaction.
    03-23-2016 04:37 PM