Why won't my Samsung S6 download/open files in Chrome since Marshmallow upgrade?

A

AC Question

Samsung S6 won't download/open files in Chrome since Marshmallow upgrade

Yesterday I upgraded my Samsung S6 to use Marshmallow 6.0.
I have always been able to download and open all files when using Chrome (office, pdf, etc), with no issue at all, but now I keep receiving error messages. For a pdf file I receive an error message saying: "Cannot display pdf (***.pdf cannot be opened)".
For a Word file I get a far as the option to 'open' the file, but when I select that I get a message saying "Try saving the file in the device and then opening it."
Please help - it worked fine before the upgrade!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung S6 won't download/open files in Chrome since Marshmallow upgrade

Boot into recovery and wipe system cache. Go to settings > System > storage > Cache Data then accept to delete.

Reboot device and try again.

Quinn Ginzer

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

I'm having the same issue with a Moto G 2014. I Click to download a file in Chrome and absolutely nothing happens

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site

Are you saving to Internal or External?

Although I like how MM handles permissions and SD cards...some features have somehow broke -_-

SomethingGoesHere

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I think my Samsung only has internal? In any case, I am not given an option to 'save' the file, chrome tries to download them open the file and than presents the error. So annoying, when there was no issue before!

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site

Chrome also has the ability to "star pics" and you can look at the favorited ones later

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Have you checked the app permissions for chrome. Settings_apps_chrome_permissions and make sure it has access to storage.

Aces-Droid

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Maybe this will help. I have a S6. and I often use USB OTG to transfer files. I find that I need to unmount the USB stick before pulling it. Otherwise the Stick looks corrupted on the PC (Asks to scan it) and any files I copied from the phone show as a file size of zero. The solution for me is to go to settings>Storage, then scroll down to "Unmount USB OTG Storage"; then take an ok.

If you're not using USB OTG, then I'm not sure what else to try. Best of Luck!

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site

I used a different browser(Dolphin Browser)...and it works I can save pics

Must be a problem with chrome...and it isn't a consistent problem some people can download stuff fine and some don't

Deal breaker for me...I'll stop using Chrome until it's fixed

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon