Are there any papers available to users on just how memory management works on Android 6.0.1? I'm curious for really two reasons. First I wrote allot of memory management software back in the 70's and 80's. Secondly I'm seeing allot of weird behavior such as a few applications that I'm not even using in real time popping up and telling me they've stopped.

Would really like to the see the details of the implementation.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-15-2016 10:12 AM
    That's probably Google Territory and the guy who ever invented Android and I don't know...

Found this interesting article

http://developer.android.com/trainin...es/memory.html
    04-15-2016 02:44 PM
    That's probably Google Territory and the guy who ever invented Android and I don't know...

Found this interesting article

http://developer.android.com/trainin...es/memory.html
    Thanks so much. The document is exactly what I've been looking for.

04-15-2016 03:47 PM

No problem enjoy
    04-16-2016 12:37 AM

Ok, I've read and now understand just how all this memory management works. I've come to the conclusion, now based on fact that we really don't need all these task killer and memory cleaner apps as it actually can get in the way of how Android itself manages memory.

It's an interesting read. Read and understand it before you install any software that manages anything to do with memory on your device.

Enjoy.!!

04-28-2016 02:35 PM
    Hi, I realize this thread is sort of old but it's related...
    Lately I have been really scrutinizing the memory management on my Moto X Pure edition phone. It has 3 GB of RAM and 16GB of storage space (plus a 32GB SD card, but that's irrelevant), running Marshmallow 6.0.0. The reason I'm scrutinizing it is because I have noticed that as I've loaded more apps, the RAM in use has slowly creeped up to the point it's always about 80-90% in use.
    Now, I appreciate that Android "self-manages" RAM, but it seems that the more RAM in use, the longer some apps take to switch from one to the other. Below is an example scenario for a game I play, but could apply to any app with heavy RAM usage:
    I frequently play the game Transformers:Earth Wars (join my clan: Techbotz).
    Anyway shameless plug aside, this game uses a good 300MB in RAM (average). The problem is the game, by default, has long load time (about 20-30 seconds). It's sort of graphic intensive due to 3d graphics.
    Now I notice that before, when my RAM was only about 60-70% in use, I could switch out of the game, send a message, maybe search an article, and switch back to the game without going through the loading screen again. It would pick up right where left off.
    Now since there's less RAM available, it dumps the game out of RAM when switching to another app. Then it has to go through loading screen again when I switch back.
    Now this is my argument as to why I would want to free up RAM by stopping any unused processes. But many times I try to Stop a process from the RAM manager or from the Apps menu, or even from the Dev options> Running processes, but processes still come back! (like the Pebble app, for example, I want to disable when I'm not wearing my Pebble watch).
    Is this a limitation, an oversight, or is this being managed any better in the latest Nougat version?
    01-19-2017 01:17 PM