How can I easily get rid of the "New" group now showing in Contacts after the 6.0 update?

gscottp

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I regularly update my online Gmail contacts by deleting them all, exporting my updated Outlook contacts to a .csv file, and then uploading that file to my Gmail account. I then sync my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 so that I have the most current contacts on my phone. I also use a Customized Group so that only those Outlook contacts that are categorized as "Cellphone" show up on my phone by default. However, since the 6.0 update, a group called "New" is created in my phone's Contacts app, which shows all of my Cellphone contacts, and after that group my Cellphone contacts appear ... again. Is there a way to easily remove that "New" group? I found that, if I opened and closed each contact individually, they would then be removed from that group, but I don't want to have to do that each time I update my contacts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I easily get rid of the "New" group now showing in Contacts after the 6.0 update?

Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Can you tell if the New group is part of the local Phone account? If so, you could open Contacts, tap Menu>Contacts to Display, and customize the list so that the local Phone account isn't displayed.

gscottp

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: How can I easily get rid of the "New" group now showing in Contacts after the 6.0 update?

Thanks for your response. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. The "New" group is something that started with the Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) update, and I don't believe that it's part of the local phone account. In Outlook Contacts, I have categorized items that I want to appear by default on my cellphone as "Cellphone." I then export all contacts to a .csv file and upload it to Google Contacts. I then sync my phone and choose to display the customized group called "Cellphone." Before the 6.0 update, this worked just fine; however, now a new "section" (it's not even a "group") called "New" shows at the top of my customized list. I must open and close each of these individually in order to remove this entire section. Any other thoughts on how I can get rid of this "New" section easily?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but I don't have a definite answer. However, the fact that it's called "New" suggests that its contents might be transient--i.e., contacts in that folder might drop out on their own after a certain amount of time (since at some point, they will no longer be "new").

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci