Lenovo A7000 - Marshmallow - Couldn't erase SD card

nerdlesstosay

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
I have recently upgraded my phone to Android 6.0
Everything worked fine until i formatted my SD card to Internal.
After the conversion, it was working well. I was pretty much satisfied. With that confidence, i moved all my apps from Internal to SD card.
After some minutes my phone got struck, so i restarted by removing and placing the battery in the back.
When it booted up it didn't detect my SD card and kept showing an error that, i need to Forget my SD card.
i googled the condition and found a post explaining the issue that it is Android 6.0's bug, and it's highly recommended to not move apps from Internal to SD card without a reboot, after converting the SD card to Internal.
The post also explained about wiping the SD card, as the only option left, and instructed to fastboot the device.

For some unknown reasons, the default "hold press Power button and press Volume Down" didn't work in my phone and it took me to a meta mode, where nothing is displayed apart from saying that it is a meta mode.
Then i took a wrong turn by repeating the same by pressing the Power and Volume Up button. It took me to factory mode, where i was displayed with 6 options in Chinese.

I can't read Chinese, and one of the option had an English word "eMMC", i thought this was the option to wipe out the SD card and selected it. It restored my phone to factory settings by erasing the Internal memory instead of the SD card.

Now, my phone detects my SD card, but shows it as "Unsupported" under Storage and USB option. And it asks me to Set Up the SD card by formatting it.

There are two options, "Use as portable storage" and "Use as Internal Storage".
If i select the first option, it says SD card is ready. But it doesn't format or fix the errors . And if i go for the 2nd option, it doesn't format and it displays the following error as a Toast.

Couldn't erase SD card
command '46 volume partition disk: 179,128 private' failed with '400 46 Command failed'

This is a Strontium 32GB class 10 SD Card. Kindly help me to format the SD Card and fix it's errors so i can use it again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html.

handayanielly

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello, i'm now facing the same problem. My sd card can't be formatted in my phone nor in computer. I have tried to format it on my PC but it doesn't work. Is there any way to fix this problem?

ahmadayman93

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem and tried both ways
As for the SD Card it is genuine with all the storage appearing in SD Insight

and for the chkdsk I performed it and no errors appeared

but my memory card when adopting it to internal storage it gives that same error

Arun Oommen

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
i own an A7000 as well and i have encountered the same problem.I guess it will be a bug on lenovo and should be reported on the lenovo forum

amitbedi

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
i own an A7000 as well and i have encountered the same problem.I guess it will be a bug on lenovo and should be reported on the lenovo forum

I got lenovo a7000 updated to marshamellow and was working fine with sd card as internal memory but I pulled sd card out and inserted new one to transfer some data but didn't knew that older sd card was encrypted and can't be read on pc.
When I reinserted the sd card again .It simply asked to format.i lost all data.as I had just one option either portable or internal memory.
Why it is that I'd sd card is pulled out and we insert again , it needs to be formatted ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Easy solution - NEVER set the SD card as internal. If there's not enough room in the phone, you need a larger phone. (Would you mount a gasoline tank in the back seat of a car for long trips? It would work - but it's not the right way.)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Easy solution - NEVER set the SD card as internal. If there's not enough room in the phone, you need a larger phone. (Would you mount a gasoline tank in the back seat of a car for long trips? It would work - but it's not the right way.)
He's right.. adoptable internal storage is one of the many bugs in marshmallow that doesn't work, and they're never going to fix it now that nougats out. Google's great at leaving bugs unaddressed, and just bringing out a "new" OS with the same bugs but some new features (which don't always work) to distract you and keep folks buying new devices.
Marshmallow sucks. And I fully expect the same experience on Nougat with a few new features. I've grown accustomed to Google's business approach. As long as Nougats no worse than marshmallow I'll be upgrading... which so far looks to be the case😕

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908