03-31-2017 01:33 PM
28 12
tools
    Hey guys,

I have a Droid Turbo 2 and I've noticed within the past 2 weeks or so that when I go to do my normal phone restart, when the phone comes back on, all of my app permissions go back to the default setting. It's a major pain in the butt because I have go back through every app permission and see if it's toggled correctly. Not sure what's up. I'm running Marshmallow 6.0
    06-17-2016 09:04 AM
    I actually did just do an entire system cache partition wipe. So far so good. Hopefully after a week of this wipe it stays this way.
    That is no where near normal. Perhaps a cache clear in recovery?
    06-17-2016 09:25 AM
    I actually did just do an entire system cache partition wipe. So far so good. Hopefully after a week of this wipe it stays this way.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-17-2016 09:28 AM
    Apparently this has been a common issue after Marshmallow. I've read it happening to the HTC M8's.
    06-17-2016 09:28 AM
    It will be interesting to see if this works.
    T79phoenix likes this.
    06-17-2016 10:01 AM
    Just an FYI, after the last cache partition wipe, haven't had the issue since.
    badcat likes this.
    07-01-2016 08:03 AM
    Apparently this has been a common issue after Marshmallow. I've read it happening to the HTC M8's.
    I changed this thread into a Q&A so it can help others with the same issue! Since it's a Marshmallow thing I also moved it to the Marshmallow sub forum. And since you found your own answer you also got a "best answer" for it! Congrats! & Thanks!
    T79phoenix likes this.
    07-01-2016 10:08 AM
    Awesome, sounds great!
    pkcable likes this.
    07-10-2016 07:35 PM
    Awesome, sounds great!
    You realize now that you started helping (even though it was just yourself) you HAVE to keep doing it! That's how I started out at CrackBerry. I came to the site for help because I was looking at getting the then new BlackBerry Bold 9000 (remember those? LOL), I ended up getting a BlackBerry Storm, and becoming part of a wonderful community. I started helping people, and eventually they asked me to become a moderator, and then the head moderator. Now I'm the Q&A guy for all the sites. Since I love all kinds of phones! Now I'm not saying you are our next AC mod, BUT who knows? But helping others and being part of a GREAT community is addictive!
    T79phoenix likes this.
    07-11-2016 10:48 AM
    What's a "system cache wipe?" I cleared my cache. Is that it? or are you recommending a full wipe and reset? Same problem on a Moto G4
    12-13-2016 12:27 PM
    What's a "system cache wipe?" I cleared my cache. Is that it? or are you recommending a full wipe and reset? Same problem on a Moto G4
    Depends how you cleared your cache. If you cleared your cache via your settings, that's not the one we're referring to. That just clears the cache for apps and certain files on your device. It's not an in depth wipe. A full wipe system cache partition is done through recovery mode on startup and it erases temporary files that may be causing issues. Each phone has a different way of accessing this feature. Since yours is a Moto G4, this is your process. I pasted this off of http://www.gammerson.com/2016/05/boo...ader-mode.html

1. With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
    2. Press the Volume Down button*to highlight “Recovery mode”
    3. Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
    4. You’ll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    5. Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.
    6. Use the volume buttons to scroll to “wipe cache partition” and press the Power button to select it.

(In between these two steps the phone might prompt you to select "yes" or "no" confirming if you want to wipe cache partition. Select "yes")

7. “Reboot system now” will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.
    12-13-2016 03:00 PM
    Yea, I googled it and did it. We'll see if it accomplishes anything
    12-13-2016 03:13 PM
    Worked for me before. I will say though that doing this won't bring your permissions back to where they were. You'll have to set them up again. But it'll prevent it from happening again. I do a wipe cache partition on my phone about once a week to keep things running good. Haven't had an issue.
    12-13-2016 04:15 PM
    I'm having same problem, marshmallow lg xpower , as well as developer options changing, being signed out of my Google and chrome as well as a few other settings frustrating...fairly new to android, I will try to partition and thanks in advance..."I hope" any info and or feedback would be greatly appreciated
    T79phoenix likes this.
    12-26-2016 03:41 AM
    Do I have to subscribe to this to get notification of feedback?
    12-26-2016 03:43 AM
    I'm having same problem, marshmallow lg xpower , as well as developer options changing, being signed out of my Google and chrome as well as a few other settings frustrating...fairly new to android, I will try to partition and thanks in advance..."I hope" any info and or feedback would be greatly appreciated
    Let us know how it works for you. It'll be interesting to see if the wipe cache partition will prevent the issue on all Android platforms. And I don't believe you need to be subscribed. I think as long as you have participated in a thread, you'll get notified. But that may also depend on what your notification settings are set to.
    12-26-2016 05:42 AM
    Well I think it may have worked for permissions, not for developer settings. Question...can't certain apps change permissions?
    12-30-2016 12:21 AM
    Which developer settings did you have active? They change permissions once you allow them to. As soon as you hit accept in the section where it explains the permissions when you downloaded the app, you're giving it permission to change the permissions that one time. After that, they should always prompt you before they change any permission settings. Or obviously until you change them yourself.
    12-30-2016 12:35 AM
    Looks like it worked for awhile, then happened again. So, I guess the pattern with this phone will have to be to keep flushing the Cache partition periodically. How STUPID is that?
    01-05-2017 09:54 AM
    Which developer settings did you have active? They change permissions once you allow them to. As soon as you hit accept in the section where it explains the permissions when you downloaded the app, you're giving it permission to change the permissions that one time. After that, they should always prompt you before they change any permission settings. Or obviously until you change them yourself.
    "Should" and "does" are two different things, and as we learn when it comes to software, software rarely does what it SHOULD do
    T79phoenix and J Dubbs like this.
    01-05-2017 09:55 AM
    "Should" and "does" are two different things, and as we learn when it comes to software, software rarely does what it SHOULD do
    Haha agreed!
    01-05-2017 10:31 AM
    Haha agreed!
    So to fix this problem of always resetting permissions we have to wipe something and then reset our permissions?
    02-19-2017 08:43 AM
    So to fix this problem of always resetting permissions we have to wipe something and then reset our permissions?
    Well idk if it applies to everyone with this phone or not (Droid Turbo 2), but me, and some other people in particular, seem to have to do this frequently to prevent it from happening. Personally, every time I turn my phone off, I do a wipe cache partition anyway. It doesn't take much extra time and it actually seems to always run smoother after I do it. I have noticed if I stay on top of wiping my cache partition every time I turn my phone off (I try for once a day when I'm not using my phone much) I never have to reset my permissions. There should be a step by step that I had posted a few comments back I believe on how to wipe the cache partition on the Droid Turbo 2. I'll have to double check though.
    02-19-2017 09:06 AM
    Looks like it worked for awhile, then happened again. So, I guess the pattern with this phone will have to be to keep flushing the Cache partition periodically. How STUPID is that?
    That's not stupid, that's Android 😅

Get used to frequent factory resets 😋
    02-22-2017 03:20 AM
    I didn't see this reply until J Dubbs replied to it. Haha. But I haven't seen mine do it ever since I've been wiping my cache partition every time I turn my phone off. Idk if you've been doing the same.
    02-22-2017 03:39 AM
28 12