Google search - browser nag pop-up: how can i disable??

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy S7 Edge; Android 6 (marshmallow); Stock browser

Every time I do a Google search, a window pops up at the bottom, saying
"It's better in the app
Google app is an easier way to search on Android. Try it?
'NO THANKS' - 'YES' "

I don't want to install the app, and this appears **every time** I launch my S7 browser. PLEASE HELP. How can I disable this? it is driving me insane...

BC

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That looks authentic to me. Does it help if you sign into Google on the browser (i.e., tap the Sign In button on that screen and stay signed in)?

Sorry you're having issues with screen lag on AC. Are you talking about the desktop or mobile browser site, or one of the AC apps?

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it is authentic, not a 3rd party popup. No, I haven't, I don't want an app, I want to use the browser. Check out the latest reviews of "Google App" in Google Play, it's absolute crap bloatware. I am so sick of being nagged i'm actually considering switching back to an iPhone.

The "lag" is because this site appears to want to load a gazillion javascripts and ads, and it takes forever (on PC desktop, IE11, Win8.1)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, I haven't, I don't want an app, I want to use the browser.

I'm not suggesting you use the app--I'm suggesting that you log into your Google account on the Google search webpage. If you do so, perhaps it will stop the nagging.

Sorry about the ads on the AC site--you might call them a necessary evil for a site like this to run for free for its users (which is so often the case for other sites as well). I find that all forms of IE (including Edge) tend to be laggier than Chrome--can you use Chrome on your PC as well?

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi
You are not going to believe this , but the popups have stopped. I have not logged into Google, installed the Google App, nor have I done anything else (that I know of) that may have made them stop. Totally weird. The only things I can think of are:
(1) Google is reading these posts and when I said I was thinking of getting an iPhone, they stopped it remotely (not that likely, tbh...)
(2) The popups stop after 10,000 nags ('cos that is about how many times I had to put up with it).
(3) Something to do with the passing of Winter Solstice.
Seriously, I don't know why they stopped.
If they start up again, I will post on this forum.

Has anyone else actually come across this problem? Anyone??

WRT the website lag, I know these things are a necessary part of life, but sometimes the effect of the whole is more than the sum of the parts, that's all. The cumulative effect of all these ads etc appears to be to slow the load times for the site down to a trickle while things are loading. No biggie, just a bit annoying, that's all. All cool.
BC

Last edited:

tatianapoll

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem & feel the same way about being forced to join unwanted services. I have a Samsung Tab A. I hope that someone can help, and soon! :)

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
There is nothing you can do about this. Google is putting the ad on your browser page because they can.

They do this on your desktop computer's browser, too, but for your desktop they want you to use Chrome. However, there seems to be a cookie that gets set so that you don't get asked "every" time.

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Chrome has or allows a ton of nags like this, and offers no way to turn them off. It's a major reason why I won't use it. Have you tried Firefox? It's highly user-configurable. (Had been using it on desktop for years so a no-brainer for me.)