Galaxy Tab A 2016 (10.1, Wi-Fi)

bimbobo

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello
I have this new Galaxy Tab A 2016 (10.1, Wi-Fi) with Android 6.0.1 and update with the latest original firmware.

I read that the new Marshmellow has an option that lets you choose whether to use the SD Card as internal or external storage.

I inserted a new micro SD Card with 64 GB , as the internal memory is only 16 GB, but nothing happened, and I cannot see anywhere, how to use this option.

The SD Card has been formatted by the tablet but it is seen as external.

Any help without root or other custom rom?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My understanding is that Samsung decided not to implement Adoptable Storage on its devices. I don't blame them--Adoptable Storage can get you into some trouble, if the card is faulty or counterfeit. SD card memory is significantly more prone to data error or defect than onboard eMMC memory, and SD cards typically have slower read-write speeds as well. So if you incorporate the card as part of the phone's internal storage, (a) you run the risk of apps seriously crashing if the card fails, and (b) performance may also be sluggish due to the slower speeds. In my opinion, Adoptable Storage is primarily useful for people who only have access to very inexpensive phones with limited internal storage (i.e., 4-8 GB)--so in other words, the developing world.

bimbobo

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for answering

I had bought one of the fastest Sandisk cards. I think the device should be able to "check" the speed and the disable or enable this options, instead of deny it in the first place.

Sad, that we cannot decide how to use our devices :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It was a Samsung decision not to include Adoptable Storage. They probably had more reasons besides read-write speeds (like stability, as I mentioned above). It's nice to have a lot of control over your own device, but consider what would happen if a user lost important data or bricked their device due to a failed SD card that had been incorporated as internal storage. Samsung already has a bit of history when it comes to SD card issues (I recall many posts a few years ago about SD cards becoming spontaneously corrupted on S3s, related to firmware issues), so perhaps that factored into the decision.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I can't even download more than one HD show before my internal storage is full. 16gb is not enough when certain apps will not allow you to save to an SD card.

And sorry.. If someone buys a crap card, it's Samsung's fault why? Back your stuff up to the cloud like normal people.

On the flip side... If they are not going to use adoptable storage then stop loading your tablets with a ton of crap ware I don't want. Let me choose what I want on my tablet if you're going to severely limit storage. I just have the basics on my tablet so it's a crime I have less than 2gb of usable storage. I have to manually transfer everything as soon as it's done downloading before the 2nd file gets any legs so I don't run out of space.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta