I have what I believe may be a long running Android issue but wanted some input from experienced users. I've recently swung over from iPhone. In my car and truck I have aftermarket head units (Alpine) as both vehicles are a few years old and offered nothing from the factory as far as smartphone connectivity.For a few years I've used these with the iPhone connected via USB and it's worked well. I'm now connecting my new OnePlus 3 via BT since it appears USB connectivity isn't supported on either H/U with Android.

The issue I'm finding is that with Pocket Casts and either Google Maps or Waze running neither of the navigation apps are playing any audio over the BT connection. The podcast playing in Pocket Casts pauses when either nav app is going to give an instruction but there is no audio from the nav app (different than the "cutting out" issue I've seen described elsewhere). Following the "silent instruction" the podcast continues playing normally. I'll admit I haven't tried this with Play Music yet. I have tried using only the nav app and if there is no other source trying to play instructions are heard over the BT connection. I've also tried setting at least Google Maps to use the phone speaker and in that case I can hear instructions as well.

On the iPhone a podcast or music would be muted to ~20% or so, the instruction would play and the podcast/music would then resume at normal volume.

I'm wondering if this is normal for everyone running simultaneous apps trying to send audio over BT or if there is possibly a fix?
    07-14-2016 07:11 AM
    Open Maps, tap Menu>Settings>Navigation Settings. Is "Play voice over Bluetooth" switched on?
    07-15-2016 01:10 AM
    I've checked the app setting sin both, both are properly set. I initially resorted to having the Waze audio play from the phone speaker which works. However now, because of the USB support issue on Android, I'm trying out going back to using the iPhone as a dedicated media player. Nav would be using the phone speaker, at least that's what I'm expecting, haven't tested yet.
    07-16-2016 11:08 PM
    Open Maps, tap Menu>Settings>Navigation Settings. Is "Play voice over Bluetooth" switched on?
    I have a similar problem with my Nexus 6. I have play sound through speakers on and voice over Bluetooth off. However when I'm using my Bluetooth headset for a call, the navigation sounds still come through my headset and drown out the conversation.
    07-17-2016 12:16 AM
    I have a similar problem with my Nexus 6. I have play sound through speakers on and voice over Bluetooth off. However when I'm using my Bluetooth headset for a call, the navigation sounds still come through my headset and drown out the conversation.
    What if you turn off the "Play voice during phone calls" switch?
    07-17-2016 12:39 AM
    What if you turn off the "Play voice during phone calls" switch?
    I assumed that would just let it keep giving me directions through the phone speakers while I'm on a call with Bluetooth, but I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
    07-18-2016 12:07 AM