I am having a ton of issues all at once here. Here's the major ones:

My phone's home and recent apps buttons don't work.
    The notification bar doesn't show any notifications and I can't get to my quick settings.
    The phone restarts every 30 seconds or so. (It doesn't do this in safe mode, so it may be an unrelated issue to the rest of this)
    The lock screen doesn't appear at all. If I set a lock code then apps like Google Now act like the phone is locked, if I set no lock screen then they don't, but no matter what I do I can't get the lock screen to appear.
    Google Now on Tap doesn't work.
    The phone is stuck in charging only mode via USB because someone at Google decided that was a wise decision. I can't set it to MTP using the notification bar because the notification bar isn't working. I can't enable developer options, probably for the same reason the home button isn't working, and the option to change USB modes in the storage section of the settings menu is gone, so I have no way whatsoever to transfer my data off my phone before doing a factory reset.

I've seen online a lot of people with similar issues in Marshmallow on many different devices but I have yet to see a fix other than a factory reset, but if I do that I lose all my data and what's to stop this from happening again?
    08-02-2016 09:08 PM
    Have you already tried clearing the cache partition? That will not wipe your data.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9541
    badcat likes this.
    08-02-2016 11:42 PM
    Have you already tried clearing the cache partition? That will not wipe your data.

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I tried that and it did nothing to help. I was able to save my most important data via USB OTG but in safe mode using only the file explorer built into Android, it was not fun.

Also, in addition to the issues I listed before I am also having sync issues with my Google account. I can't open the Gmail app without seeing a syncing error that I can't get past.

I was able to stop the system restarts by deleting all 3rd party apps minus a few I need to back up my data. That was, as I suspected, unrelated to the other issues.

I can factory reset my device now and only lose time as opposed to time and data since the USB OTG and cloud backup apps helped, but my bigger fear is without knowing the cause of this plague affecting my phone, what's to stop it form happening again next week?

I could send it back to Motorola under warranty, but I can't be down a phone for 2+ weeks. To my knowledge, warranty repairs don't qualify for their advance exchange service, and I can't do my job without this phone.

So, long story short, I'm pretty much screwed! Still, I appreciate your reply.
    08-03-2016 02:45 AM
    I would say as long as you feel that you have backed up all your data you have nothing to lose but time (as you noted) so I would try the hard reset. That "might" fix everything. The biggest hurdle in doing a reset is the backup usually and you seem to have that under control.

There of course is no guarantee but there is a good chance that the issues won't reappear. If they do then you most likely have a hardware problem.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-2016 06:23 AM

Love the new avatar! I'm a ELP fan from waaaayyy back.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-2016 03:31 PM