I have a Note 4, Marshmellow and the Verizon stock email app with pop3. Recently although the proper option is checked within the app deleting emails from the inbox does *not* delete them from the server, and even with emptying trash, so they come back. This option works perfectly fine with Mozilla Thunderbird so I know it's a phone related issue. However, I'd prefer to be able to delete them from the server via the phone. Any ideas? I have seen many discussions of this subject with bad advice and no resolutions- at least not for me.
    BTW I have a second old phone almost never used and don't know if they would delete from this phone.
    Thanks.
    Frank

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-15-2016 08:57 PM
    I have a Note 4, Marshmellow and the Verizon stock email app with pop3. Recently although the proper option is checked within the app deleting emails from the inbox does *not* delete them from the server, and even with emptying trash, so they come back. This option works perfectly fine with Mozilla Thunderbird so I know it's a phone related issue. However, I'd prefer to be able to delete them from the server via the phone. Any ideas? I have seen many discussions of this subject with bad advice and no resolutions- at least not for me.
    BTW I have a second old phone almost never used and don't know if they would delete from this phone.
    Thanks.
    Frank

I have to ask, is there a reason you simply aren't using IMAP, POP is awful and in your case with multiple devices it would be more stable and reliable to use IMAP if you have the option.
    08-15-2016 10:12 PM
    I thought that would be a good idea until I read that some folks with imap had my problem. The advice? Switch to pop3. There needs to be something else causing this.

08-15-2016 10:43 PM
    I thought that would be a good idea until I read that some folks with imap had my problem. The advice? Switch to pop3. There needs to be something else causing this.

The sentence "Switch to pop3" should NEVER be used. Pop3 is extinct.
    Have you actually every used IMAP? Or did you just start using pop3 from the get go because of what someone said?
    Using pop3 with multiple devices is just a bad idea. Switch to IMAP, make sure delete from server is selected if that's what you want
    and be done with the useless troublesome POP3 junk
    08-16-2016 01:32 AM
    Thanks for your advice. But I was hoping for a diagnosis of the exact problem rather than the standard "pop3 sucks" reply. Or is a problem like this impossible to diagnose because pop3 does so many weird things at random?

08-16-2016 09:27 AM
    It is not a "weird things at random" so much as a "very limited number of things possible".
    08-16-2016 06:00 PM
    Thanks for your advice. But I was hoping for a diagnosis of the exact problem rather than the standard "pop3 sucks" reply. Or is a problem like this impossible to diagnose because pop3 does so many weird things at random?

In this case, yes I feel POP3 sucks as an opinion, but I work in the field, where we allow pop and imap, and those that use pop have nothing but issues. So yes it is just the little quirks that come with using POP. I wasn't suggesting using IMAP due to personal opinion, I was doing so as a solution.
    POP is being slowly retired. And as time goes by, it's being less and less supported. Point is you have 2 devices, maybe more, typically when you use pop by default your mail is downloaded form the server to the first device that gets it. Yes you can, via your mail app settings, choose to leave a copy of the mail on the server.
    IMAP i find makes more sense in your case anyway, as you have 2 devices, my suggestion switch to IMAP, and either leave it the way it is so it stays on the server, or set your app to delete from server when you delete it from whichever device you are receiving it on, I just think this will end your issues and make your life a lot easier.
    Hope that helps and makes my point more clear

Cheers
    08-16-2016 09:26 PM