What happens to an existing backup when a new phone starts backing up?

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Bit of an odd question but here goes.

I had an LG G4 that recently died. I had Android backup activated on this Android Marshmallow phone. I've been using a cheapo Android 5.1 Alcatel phone while I wait for my replacement. I have activated a few apps with passwords, like email and a few others. I did NOT yet activate backup on this phone. However, I did select Restore after I downloaded the subset of apps I am using on this phone.

If I activate backup on this phone, will it erase ALL data from the backup from the dead phone? Will it just update like data? Will anything happen?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a good question. I don't have a definite answer, but I might be able to shed some light on things. If you go to google.com/settings/dashboard on your computer browser (while logged into your account), and click on the Android section, you'll see all of your current devices and which apps are backed up to the servers. You'll notice that each device has its own listings for app backups -- so it looks like backups created by a new device won't necessarily zap the backups created by older devices. What I'm not sure about, though, is how it handles Google apps, because they're all synced to your main Google account in the cloud. So I assume that all Google apps across all of your devices will have the same backup data (assuming you have them set to sync on each device).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae