Google services battery drain

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Anybody know how to solve Google services battery drain?

Here's a list of the things I tried already:

1. Changed Location to "battery saving" mode.

2. 'Pruned' my syncing accounts by disabling unnecessary syncing.

3. Switched off or reduced email syncing times.

4. Cleared cache for frameworks and Play Services.

5. Cleared cache in recovery.

6. Switched off notifications for many apps

7. Disabled "Sign in with Google" on all apps. (Instead sign in with email).

8. Rolled back all Google apps and services to factory versions.

Have I missed anything else that could reduce Google Play Services battery drain...many thanks!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone? The tricky thing about Google Play Services is that many apps can utilize them, without any easy way for the user to know for sure. For a while, Google Photos was causing problems, but they supposedly fixed that. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if an old bug resurfaced after an update, so try uninstalling or disabling Google Photos temporarily.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Which phone? The tricky thing about Google Play Services is that many apps can utilize them, without any easy way for the user to know for sure. For a while, Google Photos was causing problems, but they supposedly fixed that. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if an old bug resurfaced after an update, so try uninstalling or disabling Google Photos temporarily.
Thanks, I've already rolled back all Google apps to factory version. Goggle Play Services still drains. Phone is HTC 10.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ack.:-\ The main thing I'd do is sit tight and hope the next update fixes some of the issues. It wouldn't hurt to send Google feedback through the system settings menu.

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The problem we had here was with data usage, more than battery drain. What finally solved it was disabling background data for Google Play Services. You do have to re-enable it temporarily each time you want to use the Playstore app, but that's easy enough. Surely this could help with battery too.

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
What finally solved it was disabling background data for Google Play Services

Wow! I just saw that in Marshmallow you can't do this anymore. Play Services no longer shows up in the app list under Data, so you can't restrict it. Google must have caught on to this solution, and now the app can use your phone however it wants.

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow! I just saw that in Marshmallow you can't do this anymore. Play Services no longer shows up in the app list under Data, so you can't restrict it. Google must have caught on to this solution, and now the app can use your phone however it wants.

Correction: you can still restrict background data for Play Services, you just can't get there from the Data listing anymore. Find it in the app listing instead. It might be worth a try if you can't identify a particular app that's (over)using these services.

Davide76

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi there, I had the same problem and it was driving me bananas.
I have tried all sort of things to try to resolve this issue. I have even restored the factory settings on my GS7 edge but yesterday, finally, I think I have cracked it.
The issue is in the settings for Google Play Services.
If you access the app from the settings of your phone and you scroll down to the bottom of it, you should be able to see, in the advanced settings, Change System Settings. Well, set that on the off position and it should do the trick.
It worked for me and I hope it would work for you too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781