Where did my text messages restore from?

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I today received a replacement HTC 10 from Verizon due to my previous one's power button being broke. I'm all too familiar with the backup and restore process as I've had many replacement phones in the past.

This time I just used the standard Google Tap and Go restore process. Everything seemed to go smoothly, all apps are downloading, my WiFi passwords are there. However, I noticed that all my text messages from the last 6 months or so were also restored, but only SMS, not MMS. My question is, and I can't find this anywhere, where did those texts come from? I didn't think Google backed up text messages. I know that the Verizon cloud app does, however I haven't even signed into that app to do a restore yet.

Or is it possible that the tap and go process just sends the texts from my old phone at the moment of tap and go?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I today received a replacement HTC 10 from Verizon due to my previous one's power button being broke. I'm all too familiar with the backup and restore process as I've had many replacement phones in the past.

This time I just used the standard Google Tap and Go restore process. Everything seemed to go smoothly, all apps are downloading, my WiFi passwords are there. However, I noticed that all my text messages from the last 6 months or so were also restored, but only SMS, not MMS. My question is, and I can't find this anywhere, where did those texts come from? I didn't think Google backed up text messages. I know that the Verizon cloud app does, however I haven't even signed into that app to do a restore yet.

Or is it possible that the tap and go process just sends the texts from my old phone at the moment of tap and go?

Verizon Messages+?

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Messages+?
I actually disabled Messages+ as soon as I got the phone. I still have the stock messaging app on there, but I use Textra instead. And i don't think the stock messaging app has a backup feature.

I actually use the app SMS Backup and Restore for my text management, since it actually backs up MMS messages as well, and allows selective backup and restore. So I'm really not sure where this restore came from. Unless, like I said, maybe the old phone just transfers them at the time of restore directly to the new phone. Which if fine by me, I'm just curious if all my texts are being backed up somewhere without me knowing.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you used tap and go then selected Textra to restore then it would have restored the SMS as well. I'm not sure why it only restored 6 months worth. But that seems to be what is happening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz