How to have a private messaging and contacts list?

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I know this question has been asked before but it still seems difficult to implement what should be relatively simple in Android. I have my main mobile number plus I have a few other virtual numbers whether it be google voice, textnow ringto etc. The problem with all of these is these is that they all integrate with the phones contacts.

I'd like to have a clean google/primary contact list that but I also want an app that I can make and receive calls, send and receive messages but in no way use the main contact database in android. It should be able to import contacts but that is it. The contact list in the app should be maintained separately.

I have tried Hangouts with a different gmail account but it is to integrated into the phone and primary contacts list.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the answer is still probably the same as it was before: Not possible with stock apps. You can hide the contacts created (and necessary for the app's function) by the messaging apps in your Contact list, but that's about it.

If you TRULY want to keep the lists separate, then you'll need an app that can create separate instances of the apps inside your phone. If you have a Samsung device, Knox is the best way to have a 'phone inside your phone'. If you don't have a Samsung device, you can try apps like Parallel Space. As an added bonus, these apps usually let you password/fingerprint protect that separate phone, so not only will the contacts stay separate, so will the messages.

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. That is pretty much what I am looking for . I have an S7 so I have been trying out My Knox today. Google has something similar with Google Work but dont think its free anymore. I guess one of the positives of Knox and not rooting. Guessing it would not work on a rooted phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. That is pretty much what I am looking for . I have an S7 so I have been trying out My Knox today. Google has something similar with Google Work but dont think its free anymore. I guess one of the positives of Knox and not rooting. Guessing it would not work on a rooted phone.

I'm not sure, but I think Knox does check for root before it can launch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX