how use SD card as internal storage in Samsung galaxy grand prime plus , Marshmallow

Emad Ahmed1

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
i having problem with my phone - SM-G532F , samsung galaxy grand prime plus.
where android is marshmallow but the internal storage is 8G only , so the space consumed rapidly and now i am working out of space :(.
i searched on net and found that marshmallow allowing to use SD card as internal storage. but, when i tried to format SD then i did not find this option of formatting. i found only format SD as portable storage.
Any solution please?..........:(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Try formatting the card then unmounting it. When you remount it, the prompt to set as adoptable storage should come up.

sanjeev257

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I have done the formating, unmounting and mounting. but it only shows SD CARD for transfer of media....
also does it work for any SD card or should i use Samsung SD Card only. i have a Toshiba exceria 64 gb UHS 1

all this makes me regret my simple phone from a company with a fruit.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is Samsung may have disabled adoptable storage for this device. Everything you have done should have prompted using adoptable storage.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Golfdriver97. As far as I know Samsung disabled adoptable storage after Marshmallow. Sorry. There are some tricks to enable it, but they require root.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
all this makes me regret my simple phone from a company with a fruit.

Welcome to Android Central! The thing is, though, that if you had gotten a phone that had comparable storage to an iPhone (i.e., 32 GB, or even 16 GB), you wouldn't be in this situation. 8 GB of internal storage is not enough for anything these days besides basic phone usage, and perhaps a few apps installed. The SD card was never really intended to expand a phone's ability to install apps (due to the slower speed and greater unreliability of SD cards), and Adoptable Storage is still an imperfect solution (which is why Samsung decided not to implement it).

sanjeev257

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
so, what do u suggest? if i root my one week purchased mobile, there is no warantee.

there should be something in between. am a first time android user. never had to go through these problems before.

plus in one week just the updates to in-built apps have used up almost 1.5 gb.

if i disable using mobile date for backgroung usage, i keep getting notifcations that i should enable it. but Y should i enable? i checked and its for things that i dont want to waste my money on and prefer to do it via wifi.

if i disable google play services, i cannot use my Gmail. but google play in a week used up almost 300 MB of memory.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You should have stayed with your iPhone...adoptable storage is an Android gimmick that never worked as promised (like a lot of things in Android), that's why Samsung disabled it.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Avoid buying a phone with 8GB.

Don't confuse cellular data and Background use with issue at hand, storage.

Some phones need driver support to use exFAT. Not sure in your case.

New phone? Or just new to you? Built and being sold in last two years?

I picked up a BLU phone with 16GB and it was only US$99 was easy to setup with 128GB SD card as internal and move some apps, but it has to pass performance test to be used first during format or it won't and would revert to media portable storage.

After format will need reboot to be used.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
so, what do u suggest? if i root my one week purchased mobile, there is no warantee.

there should be something in between. am a first time android user. never had to go through these problems before.

plus in one week just the updates to in-built apps have used up almost 1.5 gb.

if i disable using mobile date for backgroung usage, i keep getting notifcations that i should enable it. but Y should i enable? i checked and its for things that i dont want to waste my money on and prefer to do it via wifi.

if i disable google play services, i cannot use my Gmail. but google play in a week used up almost 300 MB of memory.

It's unfortunate that as a first-time Android user, you selected a phone with such limitations, because it's giving you a very suboptimal first impression of the platform. See this guide for tips on how to maximize the storage you have: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...y-how-deal-insufficient-storage-warnings.html

Your question about disabling mobile data doesn't relate to internal storage -- is that a separate question about trying to limit how much of your wireless plan's monthly mobile data you use? You're right in that wi-fi can handle most of your web needs, with one big exception: MMS (i.e., attaching pictures or other files to text messages). MMS requires mobile data to be on, and doesn't work over wi-fi or voice signal.

When you say Google Play used up almost 300 MB of memory, do you mean that Google Play Services used 300 MB of data on your mobile data plan? These are two separate issues.

sanjeev257

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Before purchasing I had checked and read that I could use sdcard as internal memory through formatting from phone. That is the main reason, after price of course, I shifted to android/ Samsung Grand Prime Plus when I broke my phone.

the phone is to my choice. I know its a budget phone with limited capacity. but I chose for the reasons I already said.
It's only after purchase that I cannot do the formatting on this one.
I don't need mobile data much because I only send pictures etc via wifi( it's faster, free for me...). my main problem is memory.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen Samsung claiming that adoptable storage was available on any of their models. They always said to use the SD card for media files and for some specific apps that will let you move a portion of it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...port%2Fanswer%2FANS00039826%2F&token=5bunGHdJ

This Marshmallow feature is available on other phones, such as Moto devices, but, as stated above, it is not free of issues and the phone's performance will suffer a bit.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with @Javier P -- Samsung has never supported Adoptable Storage. Where did you read that Galaxy Grand Prime could do that? There is a way for the user to get it to work using ADB commands, but this is not what the manufacturer intended, and therefore they would have never guaranteed that it would work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see. Those forum discussions may have been about the method using ADB commands. Or they might have been from people who were talking about the Move to SD feature, rather than actual Adoptable Storage. But you're right -- we unfortunately won't have any other good solutions for you. I'll give a link for how you can get Adoptable Storage on an S7, but I'm not sure if this works on a Grand Prime: Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge - Android - MoDaCo