How to free up space in internal storage of my Moto G (3rd gen)?

momopino

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Wish I could attach screen shots but since I can't, this is what my storage situation is:

Device storage- 18.45GB used out of 37.07GB
Android OS - 3.7GB
Internal Storage - 4.11GB used out of 4.53GB
SD Card - 10.86GB used out of 29.07GB

At this point I must say that my SD card was formatted as Internal Storage but it certainly doesn't behave like one.

The breakdown of my 4.11GB of used Internal storage looks like this:
Apps - 1.39GB
Cache - 17.91MB

So where is the rest???
At this point I can't update anything, I've erased everything from my Internal storage Apps section that couldn't be moved to SD card. I keep erasing cache to the point that even my screen isn't customized any more.

Don't know what to do to claim back my internal storage that is mysteriously​ eaten up. My SD card that should act as internal storage obviously isn't doing its job.

Please help!

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So where is the rest???
At this point I can't update anything, I've erased everything from my Internal storage Apps section that couldn't be moved to SD card. I keep erasing cache to the point that even my screen isn't customized any more.

Try installing this 'DiskUsge' app. It will give you graphical representation of what's residing on your storage memory.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...google.android.diskusage&hl=en&token=NuHVUyS_
At least you'll get clearer idea on what's there. If you see a lot of data 'left' from uninstalled apps keep in mind when you want to completely remove an app you need to 'Force stop', then 'Clear data', and then tap the 'Uninstall' button. If you don't 'Clear data' a lot of that app's settings and configuration files will probably remain. You can use a file manager app to manually delete removed app leftovers, or you can just temporarily reinstall that app, and then go through the process of 'Clear data' before 'Uninstall' to remove everything.
Also, I wouldn't bother clearing the app caches, that doesn't really clear up that much space and as soon as you use whichever app again it has to rebuild its cache all over again. Wiping an app's cache is more of a general maintenance task if there's a problem with that app, otherwise by clearing by constantly manually wiping the cache you're just making your phone work that much harder. Just take a look at the stats you posted, the cache is measured in MB and don't forget it takes 1024 MB to equal 1 GB. As far as space saved it's insignificant by deleting what your apps need anyway.

momopino

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks but even downloading DiskUsage was painful. Basically to download anything I had to remove the apps that were supposedly already on my SD card. The more I removed, the more space was requested by Playstore. At the end I downloaded both Disk Usage and AndroidToSDcard app. Neither solved my issues and I still don't know where the extra space is but removing the apps helped a little.
This is my current Internal Storage status
3.8GB used out of 4.53GB
Apps - 1.18GB
Cache - 70.18MB

I still don't know where the extra space went as the DiskUsage doesn't really show me. It says that 2GB are used and shows the same stuff as I could see already. The other app actually shows my SD card as internal storage already and I couldn't even open my iactual phone nternal storage to move it to the card.

So, this is how it stands now; I've downloaded a few apps that I had to erase before - they get stored to my SD card immediately and don't change the usage of my internal phone storage. Still, the moment I removed those apps, all the updates started downloading and those marginally increased my internal phone storage.

If someone actually solves this mystery with internal phone storage being used up, please let me know because it seems to me I just temporarily solved my issue.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user