Cell Standby prevents phone from charging (battery drain) [SOLVED]

oPryzeLP

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a OnePlus One running Android 6.0.1 and Cyanogen OS 13.1.2-ZNH2KAS3PO-bacon.

I've made no significant changes to my device recently. Never rooted or done anything non-stock.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my battery increased only about 4% after leaving it charging ALL NIGHT.

I've since restarted my phone numerous times and it will sometimes appear to fix the problem temporarily. But it never fails to come back! I can't get my phone to 100% unless I charge it while it's powered down.

So then I took a peak at my battery stats. And indeed, charging is MEGA SLOW.

Cell Standby eats up as much battery life as the screen.

I have my cell data disabled and WiFi connected. I didn't change plans and I'm using/charging it in the same place I have for 3 years. Please please please help me out! My phone is barely staying alive!

Last edited:

oPryzeLP

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: Cell Standby prevents phone from charging

"I can't get my phone to 100% unless I charge it while it's powered down."

The battery charges fine when my phone is completely off. Definitely a software issue. Especially since I can see that Cell Standby is the main battery hog. Please reread my post carefully.

oPryzeLP

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: Cell Standby prevents phone from charging

I HAVE RESOLVED MY ISSUE! Leaving this answer here for anyone that needs it (especially considering how little answers there are online about this issue)

So after literally weeks of research and blocking app permissions via Privacy Guard, nothing fixed the issue. I believe that "Phone Services" was calling Keep Awake (or similar) constantly draining the battery which shows up as "Cell Standby"

Thinking that this was a system app, I figured I wouldn't be able to fix it (not rooted and I have no privacy guard functions over that). HOWEVER, I researched and learned that regular apps can call these system functions MAKING IT LOOK like it's a system app problem.

So I went to my apps and started uninstalling just about everything. Even the weird little things like Skype plug-ins and Speed Test apps. (Granted I also removed ones I use like Netflix and Adblock browser, but I figured it's better to solve the issue and then reinstall the apps later when I need them).

After uninstalling around 20 different apps, the problem was instantly gone and my phone charged to 100% in an hour! :)

So while I can't say "App ____ caused the problem" I can say that a fix for YOU could be to follow the same process. Uninstall a sh*tload of apps, even ones you wouldn't expect to cause problems. Hope I helped! No seriously, this problem is f*ckin annoying and deserves way more attention from the "higher-ups."

slimchap

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happening to my Gionee M5 Mini but i can see phone idle using up 18% of my ba3 and not Cell standby.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170519-135349.jpg
    Screenshot_20170519-135349.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 8

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've never understood why folks are so eager to install "free" apps with no idea what they actually do in the background.
A major University did a study, and found out 95% of most free apps battery use is for tracking/spying/advertising, and only 5% is used for the apps actual function.

When you load your phone down with all those free apps no wonder you have battery and other weird issues =-O

Free is NEVER truly free lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR