I have a dire legal situation involving law enforcement. I recorded an very important voice file and later realized it had saved to my device. I moved it to my SD card a week after it was created because I was worried I'd lose the file if my phone crashed. The date I moved it now shows as the "date last modified". How do I recover the creation data? Please help.
    06-19-2017 12:04 PM
    It does not appear to be possible to recover the original file creation date. In fact, it appears that the Android OS stores only a single date, always titled "Last modified".

As an aside, I do hope that, where-ever you may be located, you actually had the legal right to make such a recording. I have read of many cases where people attempted to use surreptitious recordings to bolster a legal/criminal complaint only to find they themselves the target of prosecution...
    06-19-2017 12:39 PM
    I have seen references to long-term Android bugs that prevent file managers from preserving file dates during copy and move operations.

Copy the file to your computer and see if there are any internal tags/data that contain the original creation date.
    06-19-2017 02:28 PM
    I have seen references to long-term Android bugs that prevent file managers from preserving file dates during copy and move operations.

Copy the file to your computer and see if there are any internal tags/data that contain the original creation date.
    Actually, I tried that and, no, there is just the one date and that applies to all files, whether previously modified or "virgin."

I really don't think it is a bug - just a design decision.
    06-19-2017 03:20 PM
    No, wait. I re-thought and tried again.

I agree; try copying the file to a (Windows) PC, then right-click on the new file and select Properties. Go to the Details tab in the Properties window and see what's there...
    06-19-2017 03:26 PM