I have a Samsung s5 originally ATT is now unlocked and using a Tmobile sim. If I am in a location where I am in a TMobile cell then I can use google talk thru the wifi just fine. However, if I am not getting cell coverage when I launch google talk to dial a number I get a msg "google voice is unable to place this call". So although google voice does not need a cell connection it cannot place a call unless I have one. I think that this is a left over function from ATT where they did not want you to use VOIP instead of their normal cell network.

I have screen shots of all my device information but at the moment I cannot figure out how to include them in my post.

to clarify my question in response to first response.
    Yes, I am using hangouts as you are correct hangouts is the new name. I also have a google phone number which I can use. I am not sure how they are related. In any case with either app if I'm in a cell I can dial a number and connect thru the local wifi connection. However, if I am not getting a cell connection (which I shouldn't need) the phone dial just won't happen. Its as if the voip phone call is dependent on being in a valid cell network.
    12-08-2017 06:52 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Here's how to post a screenshot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html

Can you clarify -- are you making the call through the Phone app, and you're using a Google Voice number? Or are you trying to make the call with the Hangouts Dialer app? Google Talk is the old name for Hangouts.
    12-09-2017 01:27 AM
    to clarify my question in response to first response.
    Yes, I am using hangouts as you are correct hangouts is the new name. I also have a google phone number which I can use. I am not sure how they are related. In any case with either app if I'm in a cell I can dial a number and connect thru the local wifi connection. However, if I am not getting a cell connection (which I shouldn't need) the phone dial just won't happen. Its as if the voip phone call is dependent on being in a valid cell network. The reason I'm not getting a cell connection is that my house has a metal roof which acts like a faraday shield. So I am unable to get a cell connection which is the reason I'm trying to use google hangouts and the google phone number.
    12-09-2017 06:45 AM
    Thanks for the additional details. This probably won't help, but open Hangouts, tap Menu>Setting>[your account], and see if your phone number is verified.
    12-10-2017 01:19 AM
    tks
    It could be related to that. Whenever I first turn on the phone I get a msg "update your phone number". I assume that when they say "your number" they are referring to my devices number not the google voice number. A problem I have is that since I am out of my cell when google wants to send me a verification txt I can't get it. I'm going to have to try this someplace where I have wifi access AND I am in my cell too. I'll let you know.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-10-2017 08:16 PM