problem with adware on UMX android v6.0.1 cell phone from assurance wireless, can you help?

lizivc2

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
tried adware scans and they don't fix the problem and multiple scanners say phone is clean. tried factory reset and it still happens, even before loading any apps, connecting to wireless or signing into google account after factory reset. still happens after making a new google account. bought phone from my carrier assurance wireless, does not happen on old phone that is a different model that i got from same phone carrier. assurance wireless says there is no problem with my phone, What The Heck? as you can see there IS a problem, the user interface is totally disabled by adware which i believe is coming from some hidden app that is preloaded by assurance wireless.

update: pops up frequently randomly and sometimes multiple popups

please watch video below:

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. No video.

2. Some sites just do have adware, and you can pick it up by visiting a site that redirects you to the site with adware (which then gets installed as a system app, so a factory reset doesn't get rid of it).

3. A reflash of the ROM would get rid of it, but going back to the same site will get it back again, so you have to know where not to go.

(It's not Assurance, it's where you go.)

You don't have to use the phone they give you, you're probably on Virgin Mobile, which is a subsidiary of Sprint, so any phone that will work on Sprint should work with Assurance. You just have to call Assurance and give them the information on the new phone. (But going to the same site will give you the same problem with any phone.)

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
tried adware scans and they don't fix the problem and multiple scanners say phone is clean. tried factory reset and it still happens, even before loading any apps, connecting to wireless

I have the same issue. Assurance is a bunch of motherless ***** who are scamming america out of tax dollars.

Please let me know if you find any help

rc-9876

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Hello,
I had the exact same problem with ads constantly popping up. In my case, this adware is located in the system partition. The only thing I can think of to get rid of it is by reflashing the ROM. Unfortunately for me, it’s incredibly difficult to find a ROM for my phone. Since I couldn’t delete the adware, I disabled it. If you can’t delete, disable is the next best solution.

In my case, the adware app is called “ad-surface”. If you don’t have this adware, here’s the links I used as reference for other possible solutions:
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...app-is-causing-popups-not-in-notification-bar.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...random-apps-keep-installing-themselves-3.html (This one refers to malware and how to get rid of it starting on the 2nd page. Found it to be informative.)

On a side note, I heard other people having ads from their app “Featured Apps”. I didn’t have ads coming from it. However, I disabled it to maximize my phone’s performance.

Here’s my solution that worked for me:
1) Go to Settings.
2) Next, go to Apps.
3) Once there, look for the 3 vertical dots on the top, right corner. Select it.
4) Next, select the option “Show system”.
5) Scroll down to “ad-surface” and select it.
Next, select Disable, and for good measure (optional), I select “Force stop”. However, need to Force stop every time restart phone.
6) Optional (for good measure), beneath Disable, select Storage, and then “Cleared data” and “Clear cache”.
7) Optional, beneath Storage, select Data usage, and then press on the button for “Background data” to disable it.
8) Optional, beneath Data usage, select Notifications, and then press on the button for “Block all” to enable it.
9) Optional, finally, beneath Notifications, select “Draw over other apps”, and then press on the button “Permit drawing over other apps” to disable it.

Good luck! Hopefully, this works for you too!

Lynn R

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
I found a solution, at least for my phone (ANS UL40). Go to notifications in the settings menu, tap the more symbol in the upper right corner to show system apps as well. Open every single one and select no for any that have a setting for "on the lock screen" (I did for all but 'phone' apps)
I did this a few weeks ago, and I haven't had a single ad pop up on my phone since.
I hope this helps!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey