ProxyHandler medium threat risk?

micwag2

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
My anti-virus picked this up and keeps alerting me to its presence. I'm not sure what it's for and how it got there. is it something to be concerned about? If so how do i remove it? I tried to Google it but i couldn't find a clear answer as to what to do with it. All i can do is force stop it and I have to do this anytime i reboot. I have also noticed prior to the anti-virus alerting me to its presence, my boot up times take much longer than before. I have an LG V10. Below is the information that the anti-virus has provided to me:

Package name: com.android.proxyhandler
Detection Name: Artemis!e987dc63fd4c

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
com.android.proxyhandler is part of Android (the source is even published). While it's possible that some virus installed itself as a file of that name, make sure that you don't have a proxy set for your wifi setting. (Delete all the wifi connections that you don't usually use if you have a lot of them listed.) com.android.proxyhandler shouldn't be running if you don't have a proxy set (unless an app is requesting it - in which case I'd uninstall that app). (And you shouldn't be running a proxy, unless you're in a corporate environment that needs it, in which case you can talk to your IT people about it.)

micwag2

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I think it may be an app that uses the Wi-Fi for communication with a drone. That app recently updated and there were a few errors when that happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech