Unable to access internet from public wifi

Pbookuser2

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
This with Moto 2e Android 6.

Gave my old Moto 2e with Marshmallow to my wife. It had been working fine. Deleted my Gmail account and added hers. Phone works fine in cell mode. Also works on all sites using wifi at home. But if we go to a public hotspot like Tim Hortons or others where it used to work, it says Connected, but if I then try and access any website, it says internet not available.

I have deleted all saved sites. Also used the "forget" for individual hotspots. I have also done a Network Settings Reset. Didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Maybe Factory reset?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The router isn't giving you a complete connection (it's called a limited connection). Unless you know how to troubleshoot it, there's not much anyone else can do for you - you have to figure out why, for certain router configurations, that phone isn't getting a complete connection.

You could start by changing your own router to use only 802.11g or n or whatever choices you have, trying 2.4GHz only, trying 5GHz only, trying TKIP encryption, trying AES encryption, trying TKIP+AES encryption - any changes you can make to cause the connection to fail. (You'll have to forget the connection in the phone for each change.) And run the router with no password for the test. (If the router has the function, save the current setup first, so you can just restore it when you're done because, if you don't restore it, you'll have to reconnect all your devices. If you can't save the configuration, at least write down what each thing was before you change it, to make it easier to reset it.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There might also be a problem with the Captive Portal Login window not showing up with the login page for that public network. What happens if you open the browser and type in a common URL, like cnn.com? Does that force the login page to show up?

Pbookuser2

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Not easy to test that from home. But I did try numerous urls of sites I had stored on phone. None of them connected regardless of which public wifi it was. Yet my other phone did. In desperation, I have done a factory reset and will check next time we are at a public wifi