" X won't work unless you enable Google Play services" notifications: How I do I stop them?

May 24, 2020
Visit site
" X won't work unless you enable Google Play services" notifications: How I do I stop them?

I've recently began disconnecting and disabling all Google-related apps and services from my Android phone (Galaxy J3 Prime). In spite of Google Play services being disabled, every other app is spamming notifications telling me to "Enable Google Play services" because they "won't work unless enable Google Play services."

That's is a flat-out lie. While my apps are at risk of becoming outdated without regular maintenance (and some of them do lose minor functionality), they can still operate without the need of Google Play. So, these notifications are nothing more than an unnecessary annoyance. I would flat out disable notifications if it weren't for the fact that I actually need them for certain apps (Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware).

Is there anyway to get rid of these notifications?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: " X won't work unless you enable Google Play services" notifications: How I do I stop them?

I've recently began disconnecting and disabling all Google-related apps and services from my Android phone (Galaxy J3 Prime). In spite of Google Play services being disabled, every other app is spamming notifications telling me to "Enable Google Play services" because they "won't work unless enable Google Play services."

That's is a flat-out lie. While my apps are at risk of becoming outdated without regular maintenance (and some of them do lose minor functionality), they can still operate without the need of Google Play. So, these notifications are nothing more than an unnecessary annoyance. I would flat out disable notifications if it weren't for the fact that I actually need them for certain apps (Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware).

Is there anyway to get rid of these notifications?
A conspiracy, no doubt.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: " X won't work unless you enable Google Play services" notifications: How I do I stop them?

Is this your first Samsung phone ? They always offered Samsung apps and google apps.

I dont recommend disabling Google stuff , maps won't work and other apps that uses Google services.

But if your set on that, package disabler pro will do as you ask for few bucks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Google Play Services is utilized by many apps -- it's more than just the Play Store. Because of that integration, disabling Google Play Services will interfere with the normal function of many apps.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site

This issue of users disabling Google play services and not realizing the Android os history or need of it/them seems to be common.
A sticky with one of the threads on this should be considered as a sticky.

yocalico

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site

What's with all the (*refrains from name calling* )s responding about how to the poster doesn't realize things won't work/how much play services does? They mentioned nothing relevant p that, simply asked to disble the mentioned notifications .
And personally, I both empathize with them and oppose the spirit of these unprecedented remarks. I disabled playstore and play services upon seeing they took up nearly all my battery, despite that for days at a time my only phone use was reading pre-downloaded books on libby--n hell, besides that, I never even get CHROME working on his phones (I bought it a couple weeks ago) except for couple minutes once after the first few days when i reset all network settings. The I decided to update and it immediately stopped working again, never completed the update, and couldn't be made to work again. Finally I downloaded Firefox (weirdly at first, the play store was working until I started searching for other browsers... then eventually it did let me get to Firefox.. weird but I'll assume a coincidence )

Now I too get this constant notification despite that the app ( still usually Libby) claims won't work unless I enable IS in fact working.

I can't imagine how suhc a large amount of my phone's resources could possibly be used in an even minorly beneficial way to me, in this instance. And again, the only actual negative effect I'm experiencing as a result of do asiabling is this ridiculously constant obnoxious notification ( which meanwhile infers it is still somehow using up power/mem !) Wtf Google, like you don't aleady own the world

Last edited by a moderator:

yocalico

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site

So actually, in apps and notifications I've disabled notications from" Android auto" and "Gboard" and I think that's gotten rid of them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What's with all the
[Mod. redaction] responding about how to the poster doesn't realize things won't work/how much play services does?

Welcome to Android Central!

From the OP's post: "I've recently began disconnecting and disabling all Google-related apps and services from my Android phone (Galaxy J3 Prime). In spite of Google Play services being disabled, every other app is spamming notifications telling me to "Enable Google Play services" because they "won't work unless enable Google Play services."

Isn't this the crux of the issue, though? The OP wants to get rid of all Google services including Google Play Services. As already mentioned above, many apps require Play Services in order to function. If Play Services is disabled, those apps can't function, and therefore there's a notification to the user about it. You could remove the notification, but that wouldn't make the app work.

If this is going to be a big problem for you, then honestly, you should probably consider a different platform. Or you could look for a phone that isn't certified for Google Play (like some of the more recent Chinese flagships from Huawei and other companies) -- but this means you'd be relying on a different app market, with a generally inferior app selection (as well as more serious security and privacy concerns).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Google Play Services is utilized by many apps -- it's more than just the Play Store. Because of that integration, disabling Google Play Services will interfere with the normal function of many apps.
Google decided, quite a while ago, to bring all the little files of functions together into one file - called Play Services. So Android APIs now call Play Services. No Play Services, no Android APIs. (It makes for much more efficient operation, and less storage is taken.)

Bobyeah

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site

I believe the crux of situation to be that the person is being told that apps will not work when they are working. Why are they told this? It is an incorrect statement made by Google and seems unnecessarily manipulative to get the user to turn play service back on. If it said the function wouldn't be at full capacity or they explained it properly then cool. Bullying people that don't know any better is well and truly messed up but who cares in the persuit of monies. Oh well, at least that get all that info, pretty sad man!
Love and oneness all round

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! I don't consider this "manipulative" or "bullying", no more than Apple's practices to strictly control its platform. Google Play Services is an integral part of how Android and Android apps work (at least in the parts of the world where Google is allowed). The other option, as I mentioned, would be to get a phone that doesn't use Google, like a Huawei phone that uses Harmony OS, but good luck finding decent apps on their marketplace (and say hello to lots and lots of shady apps or outright malware).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair