Android N adds a potentially life-saving feature | Android Central

We talked about this the other day (Ambassadors / Mods) and discussed how we felt about this feature. I have friends who do have medical issues that need to be known and since everyone has a phone this *COULD* be useful. I don't think it will be a ground-breaking feature but I do think that some people will benefit from it.

On the flip side .. Is it too much personal information being revealed? What are your thoughts on this?
    03-10-2016 10:15 AM
    I think it's an overall good idea. Especially if there is a direct dial to mom or dad in case of an emergency.
    zimr likes this.
    03-10-2016 10:29 AM
    I have some medical problems, so I'm really looking forward to this. I used to have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) widget on my lockscreen that could be viewed without unlocking. Since Lollipop and newer disabled lockscreen widgets, it doesn't work anymore.
    03-10-2016 01:48 PM
    I see where it could be useful .
    Since I dont have any medical details that need to be detailed in it.
    Im not using it,but at least its there for those who need it.
    03-12-2016 05:11 AM
    I can see it useful but yet again in an emergency situation who is honestly looking for their phone. As an emt and my brother a paramedic we've tried to figure something out also along these lines. In a car wreck the phone could fly and be 20 feet damaged from the car. Someone drops to the ground you do cpr your not looking at the phone and by then help shows up and whisks them away. We were talking about qr codes the most. It's a tough call though. With 2 celiacs an Autistic son and a nephew with type 1 diabetes. Something needs to come into the market. Kudos to the developers for thinking of this. Hopefully we advance to solve this

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-13-2016 08:33 PM
    I can see it useful but yet again in an emergency situation who is honestly looking for their phone. As an emt and my brother a paramedic we've tried to figure something out also along these lines. In a car wreck the phone could fly and be 20 feet damaged from the car. Someone drops to the ground you do cpr your not looking at the phone and by then help shows up and whisks them away. We were talking about qr codes the most. It's a tough call though. With 2 celiacs an Autistic son and a nephew with type 1 diabetes. Something needs to come into the market. Kudos to the developers for thinking of this. Hopefully we advance to solve this

What are you ideas for QR codes and where would they be? A tattoo on your arm or what? Other than an ICE app like this on the phone, I could foresee a smart medical alert bracelet with either scanable or downloadable data. Until then, I think having the data available on the person's smart phone is the best solution.
    belodion likes this.
    03-14-2016 01:08 AM
    What are you ideas for QR codes and where would they be? A tattoo on your arm or what? Other than an ICE app like this on the phone, I could foresee a smart medical alert bracelet with either scanable or downloadable data. Until then, I think having the data available on the person's smart phone is the best solution.
    The qr code wouldn't work either limbs get mangled stuff breaks. I do agree this is a solution. And it may work in some instances. Defiantly the start of a great opportunity. I just know when we come upon a scene a phone isn't even in my thought process. Maybe later on when police clear up the scene they can forward that information. Nothing is ever going to be perfect for every case. Aside from microchip I'm glad other people are looking into this. It's definitely an area that needs focused on. Nothings going to be perfect I have seen medical alert bands in the bone of an arm from impact, a necklace still in a car when the victim was ejected.

All that aside if this does get implemented is there a way to protect that information until it's needed. If my phone ever got stolen I wouldn't like for someone to know that information. Or if that individual needed care and they used my information and endangered their lives more.

I'm not trying to shoot down this feature. I think it's a great leap into a much needed area. I just was bringing in an opinion from a medical side.

Ideas to include but not limited to: current medications list
    Any diagnosis
    Name
    possible insurance carrier

ICE contact
    If kids would have been possibly with them. (Could have been ejected or ran away scared)

JimSmith94 and zimr like this.
    03-14-2016 09:14 AM
    since you can reveal as much info as you want, it seems a great plan
    03-15-2016 02:02 AM