Don't get text notifications when using "wifi-only" mode...

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Using Android N Preview 2, and often use "wifi-only". I get "wifi-only" by turning on "Airplane Mode", and then turning wifi back on.

The problem that I'm seeing is that when I get a text message when using "wifi-only" after the phone's been idle a while, I don't get a notification. I've tried both Messenger and Hangouts, neither app is battery-optimized, and neither delivers notifications of text messages. With Messenger, I get the actual text, but no notification. With Hangouts, I don't get the text message or notification until I open the phone, then I get both.

Anyone else deal with this? Is there a texting app that has better notification behavior on "wifi-only" than Messenger or Hangouts? Any other ideas?

For the moment I've gone back to Messenger, but could really use a solution to this. Missing texts is not an option *smile*.

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you're even getting the text message. Texting is done over 2G, not over the internet. (Hangouts uses the internet, but it's not texting, even though a part of it acts like texting. You can't "hangout-text" a phone that doesn't have Hangouts AFAIK.)

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure. I can send and get ordinary texts using Hangouts (or Messenger, of course). Verified.

Notice that I mentioned "Messenger" which is the Google text message app, same behavior. No notifications, but text message(s) are received. No need to focus on the inscrutable Hangouts app *smile*.

My cellular provider is Project Fi, if that helps.

Any suggestions?

I've already submitted this as a bug report to Google against Android N, looking for workarounds.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463