Using Android N Preview 2, and often use "wifi-only". I get "wifi-only" by turning on "Airplane Mode", and then turning wifi back on.

The problem that I'm seeing is that when I get a text message when using "wifi-only" after the phone's been idle a while, I don't get a notification. I've tried both Messenger and Hangouts, neither app is battery-optimized, and neither delivers notifications of text messages. With Messenger, I get the actual text, but no notification. With Hangouts, I don't get the text message or notification until I open the phone, then I get both.

Anyone else deal with this? Is there a texting app that has better notification behavior on "wifi-only" than Messenger or Hangouts? Any other ideas?

For the moment I've gone back to Messenger, but could really use a solution to this. Missing texts is not an option *smile*.

05-17-2016 04:26 PM
    Are you sure you're even getting the text message. Texting is done over 2G, not over the internet. (Hangouts uses the internet, but it's not texting, even though a part of it acts like texting. You can't "hangout-text" a phone that doesn't have Hangouts AFAIK.)
    05-17-2016 05:25 PM
    Yes, I'm sure. I can send and get ordinary texts using Hangouts (or Messenger, of course). Verified.

Notice that I mentioned "Messenger" which is the Google text message app, same behavior. No notifications, but text message(s) are received. No need to focus on the inscrutable Hangouts app *smile*.

My cellular provider is Project Fi, if that helps.

Any suggestions?

I've already submitted this as a bug report to Google against Android N, looking for workarounds.

05-17-2016 06:51 PM