I have a message on my phone that says the Android N beta NPD56N is going to be downloaded on my Nexus 5x. That message has been there for some minutes with nothing happening.

Has anyone gotten the NPD56N?

Me! It wasn't just sitting there. It was downloading but not saying anything. Now it's installing the new beta.

Installed and all looks well. Time to play.
    06-15-2016 04:47 PM
    Got it on my 6p.so far so good. Did have to go in and check for update to getit6

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-15-2016 06:57 PM
    Got it on my 6p.so far so good. Did have to go in and check for update to getit6

Same here, had to look for it, 327.0 MB downloading now.
    06-15-2016 07:38 PM
    Maybe it's always been there but I just noticed the cool multicolored ring while installing update. Is this new or have I just never noticed it?
    06-15-2016 07:48 PM
    I never noticed it, either. Someone posted on another forum about the June security update and while I was checking that I checked for system updates and got the new beta. I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, and I'm pretty sure we're not on the top of the list for OTA updates.
    06-15-2016 08:15 PM
    I got the 56N update just over 5 hours ago on the N6.

Maybe it's always been there but I just noticed the cool multicolored ring while installing update. Is this new or have I just never noticed it?
    It's new starting with this update.This was first time I saw this one.
    It used to be the android with wiggling antenna's animation
    06-15-2016 09:11 PM
    Got the update and gonna download overnight for a fresh start tomorrow to dig thru it.
    06-15-2016 09:21 PM
    Same here, had to look for it, 327.0 MB downloading now.
    Interesting that the N6 download was only about half that big. I wonder why.
    06-15-2016 10:30 PM
    Someone on reddit (yomamasnerd) noticed it last month in DP3 as a recovery mode option called "graphics test." He pegged it then as a new boot animation. Clever nerd.

Call me sentimental, but I miss the little droid and its twitchy antennae.
    06-15-2016 10:37 PM
    New boot animation is slick. Update time seemed significantly quicker.

06-15-2016 11:47 PM
    I'm running it on my 5X and I've run into problems with three apps that worked fine on the previous build, and I've also lost the ability to use Android Pay.

I'm trying to rollback to MM but no matter what I've done I don't get an OTA to do so. I've fed this back so hopefully it'll be fixed. I'm not a dev, just an enthusiast, so I don't want to have to venture into the realms of flashing firmware myself. That and the fact I don't have a USB>USB-C cable yet!

06-16-2016 07:23 AM
    I installed it on my 6P yesterday just before leaving work.

So far, so good; some apps which had issues with the Beta 3 seem to be working correctly now. One thing that I am not sure about is battery life - I know it is too soon to tell, but my gut says that something is not quite right.
    06-16-2016 07:41 AM
    Is anybody else still suffering from an issue with Android Wear? When I try to respond to a text with my watch I hit reply it hands for a second gives a small vibration like it sent a text then nothing. No response is sent and I'm not given the chance to respond.
    06-16-2016 11:44 AM
    I'm running it on my Nexus 9 at the moment.

My main problem with it is that Vainglory no longer works at all. Perhaps something to do with API changes. So since I play a lot of Vainglory, I'm probably going to roll it back. If anyone knows a work around or fix for this, I'd be very appreciative.

I don't like the new way of setting wallpapers for the home screen and lock screen either. I have a setup for changing my wallpaper with a single tap, and that now only changes the home screen wallpaper, and the lockscreen stays stuck. An update to the app I use may fix that.

I've noticed the option for setting your default launcher is now hidden back under settings > apps > default apps like it was before lollipop (maybe even before KitKat? I don't remember). It took me a while to find that again.

I've also found Google's own apps, particularly Photos and Gmail, open but fail to load any data on several occasions. Which requires a device reboot to fix.

Performance in general is prone to slowing to a complete halt for no obvious reason.

All this stuff is to be expected from a beta, obviously. But right now I'm not wanting to use it as a daily driver.

06-22-2016 03:50 AM
    I'm running it on my 5X and I've run into problems with three apps that worked fine on the previous build, and I've also lost the ability to use Android Pay.

I'm trying to rollback to MM but no matter what I've done I don't get an OTA to do so. I've fed this back so hopefully it'll be fixed. I'm not a dev, just an enthusiast, so I don't want to have to venture into the realms of flashing firmware myself. That and the fact I don't have a USB>USB-C cable yet!

I had to download the MM image and install it via USB, the OTA MM image never showed up when I unenrolled my 6P. I'm wait for the Maps fix for Android Auto before I go back to N.
    06-22-2016 08:09 AM
    I've had the same problem with rolling back, the OTA never arrived, so I'm manually flashing Paranoid Android instead... Hey, if I have to wipe it, might as well try a new ROM.

06-22-2016 10:42 AM
    Are you using a different launcher? I use Nova for all my devices but in order to change home screen and lock screen I have to switch into good now launcher then it lets me change both at once

06-22-2016 02:22 PM
    I had to download the MM image and install it via USB, the OTA MM image never showed up when I unenrolled my 6P. I'm wait for the Maps fix for Android Auto before I go back to N.
    It looks like the Maps update that went out last night (9.31) fixes the issue. I've seen reports from several people who say Maps are now working in AA on DP4. I updated to DP4 today from MM, and I'll see if it works on my commute home.
    06-22-2016 03:04 PM
    It looks like the Maps update that went out last night (9.31) fixes the issue. I've seen reports from several people who say Maps are now working in AA on DP4. I updated to DP4 today from MM, and I'll see if it works on my commute home.
    Please let us know what happens. If it's working for you I'll go back to N tomorrow.
    06-22-2016 03:37 PM
    Google Camera seems slow and laggy sometimes (on Nexus 6). Has this been happening on earlier N versions, too? The app just froze for a good two seconds at start up. Course I don't know if the lag was coming from the app itself or the fact that I flipped the phone to landscape while the app was focusing. Still, it was slower to start than I've ever seen it.
    06-22-2016 03:46 PM
    Google Camera seems slow and laggy sometimes. Has this been happening on earlier N versions, too? The app just froze for a good two seconds at start up. Course I don't know if the lag was coming from the app itself or the fact that I flipped the phone to landscape while the app was focusing. Still, it was slower to start than I've ever seen it.
    I am not having any problem with camera on DP4 - and did not have any problems on DP3.

NEXUS 5X on AT&T on N Beta
    06-22-2016 03:53 PM
    I am not having any problem with camera on DP4 - and did not have any problems on DP3.
    NEXUS 5X on AT&T on N Beta
    My experience could've been a fluke. Unless the problem is only hitting the older Nexus 6.
    06-22-2016 05:52 PM
    Are you using a different launcher? I use Nova for all my devices but in order to change home screen and lock screen I have to switch into good now launcher then it lets me change both at once

I'm using a custom launcher, but I'm using an app called wallpaper changer which I use to automatically change wallpaper with a home screen shortcut. To be fair, I have the same problem with my Sony phone running marshmallow, the system allows you to set a separate wallpaper for the lock screen, or set one for both, but the app only changes the home screen. This is because you have to choose every time you set a wallpaper, and the app cannot make that choice for you.

I would prefer to just have a toggle in the display settings - Use separate wallpaper for lockscreen (I.e the current N beta way), or use the same for both (I.e the old stock way).

06-23-2016 08:52 AM