Android N with Android Auto Maps

kg4gyt

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been running Android N since DP3 was released on my 5X, and was able to use Android Auto without any issues (with the DHU as well as in my car).

After applying today's DP4, whenever I open maps in the car, or with the DHU, I'm immediately bumped back to the home screen.

Just to make sure it wasn't something weird going on with my phone, I went back to the 6.0 general release, confirmed that Android Auto was working as expected. I just re-applied the OTA to DP4, and the issue came back.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? I've reported it to Google via the send feedback options in Auto, Maps, and the OS - is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

chrisliphart

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
It happens to me too. I tried clearing data on Maps and Android Auto, but I still have the same issue. Sadly, navigation with Android Auto is key to me, so I'll have to roll back to Marshmallow.

I did want to add that I was able to get turn-by-turn directions on Android Auto by opening Maps on my phone before plugging it in, starting navigation, and then plugging my phone in. On the Android Auto home screen, the notification of next turn and ETA show up as normal, but tapping on it crashes Maps, just like hitting the Maps icon. It's not perfect by any means, but if you're dead-set on running the beta and Android Auto, that's about as good as it's going to get until Google fixes it.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm seeing the same thing on my 6P connected to my Chevy Volt. I did a factory reset and that didn't help, it's really broken.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The phone is plugged into a USB port on the car. My car (Chevy Volt) has two USB ports next to the 12V power port.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Android N uses the car's display, speakers and microphone. It runs on the phone and casts to the car's display.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I downgraded to M and AA is working there. However I noticed that Maps doesn't look as good as it did on N Preview 3, is that my imagination or do others see that also?

chrisliphart

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I downgraded to M and AA is working there. However I noticed that Maps doesn't look as good as it did on N Preview 3, is that my imagination or do others see that also?

It does look different. I can't place my finger on it now that I'm on MM, but there is something different about it.

RockingCPA

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android N with Android Auto Maps - Roll back to Preview 3 possible?

I'm having the same problem as everyone else regarding Android Auto. I just got a new Accord and have been using Google maps via AA, instead of the built-in Honda GPS, which isn't nearly as good. This is now a safety issue, as I will have to hold my phone to use maps. I really do NOT want to roll back to Marshmallow. Does anyone know if you can go back to Preview 3, until they release v9.31, which is supposedly going to fix AA?

RockingCPA

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android N with Android Auto Maps - Roll back to Preview 3 possible?

I downloaded and installed it late last night from that link. Everything in AA seems to work, now. I just started up the car in the driveway and used voice commands to get directions. Everything worked perfectly in the driveway, so I'm assuming the navigation will function properly, as well. If I don't post back, then it's perfect. YAY!! I'm glad I fought my tendency and managed to find a little patience, rather than going back to Marshmallow. :) Google, please don't break your own apps again. I've learned my lesson about jumping all over beta updates.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that Maps 9.3.1 works. It's still in beta as of Sunday so you will have to side load it. I signed up as a beta tester for Maps but nothing happened so I just side loaded. The procedure for sideloading is simple, just transfer the apk to your phone via ES FileExplorer, disable Unknown Sources under Security, and then click on the apk in ESFileExplorer and select Install. Don't waster your time with cables, that's unnecessary.

chrisliphart

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I got 9.31 without being signed up for the Maps beta, right through the Play Store, so I didn't have to sideload. You can thank Google and their rolling updates for that. That said, Maps in Android Auto on DP4 works perfectly for me now. I'm glad to be back on the N beta, as there are a lot of features that I actually use (Night Mode, Split Screen, Expanded Notifications, etc). :)

Vikas Dhar

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I've also run into this after the latest Android N update. It crashes immediately so it is not as if you can start navigating. Unfortunately, not being able to navigate to sort of a deal.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I've also run into this after the latest Android N update. It crashes immediately so it is not as if you can start navigating. Unfortunately, not being able to navigate to sort of a deal.

Try doing a factory reset. Navigation is working fine for me on Preview 4 on my 6P.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It transpires as well. I took a stab at clearing information on Maps and Android Auto, yet despite everything I have the same issue. Unfortunately, route with Android Auto is critical to me, so I'll need to move back to Marshmallow.

I wanted to add that I could get turn-by-turn bearings on Android Auto by opening Maps on my telephone before connecting it to, beginning route, and after that connecting my telephone to. On the Android Auto home screen, the warning of next turn and ETA appear as ordinary, yet tapping on it crashes Maps, much the same as hitting the Maps symbol. It's not impeccable by any methods, but rather in case you're never going to budge on running the beta and Android Auto, that is about tantamount to it will get until Google fixes it.
@mobileappstesting

What phone do you have? What car?