View Poll Results: What's your feelings on Nougat?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going to upgrade as soon as it's released

4 50.00%
  • I'm going to watch and wait before I upgrade

3 37.50%
  • I don't plan on upgrading

1 12.50%
08-21-2016 03:20 PM
37 12
tools
    Not sure if this is serious or not, but ok. Most of the improvements in LP, MM and N have been on battery life, fixing the runtime and security. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want those. As for being snubbed, MM is already on over 15% and MM & LP combined are over 50% of users. I do recall 5.0 was buggy for a month or so when it first released but 5.1 fixed that and 6.0 released stable. I've been running the N preview on all of my devices since it came out this year and there is nothing to worry about from a stability front. I'm not sure that anyone is seriously making the claim that either L or M was the worst operating system ever. Just out of curiosity, what device(s) are you using them on to walk away with that impression?
    FYI : over half of all phones in active use are on 5.0 or higher.

Attachment 235403
    That's the problem though is 35% percent of Android phones are using an OS from 2014 and the 15% of devices running MM are now using an OS that is a year old. The cycle is just going to keep repeating. I'd be shocked if at this time next year 20% of devices were on N.
    08-19-2016 03:06 AM
    That's the problem though is 35% percent of Android phones are using an OS from 2014 and the 15% of devices running MM are now using an OS that is a year old. The cycle is just going to keep repeating. I'd be shocked if at this time next year 20% of devices were on N.
    Sure, but that's not commentary on the quality of the software... It just means people ought to stop buying bad phones.
    08-19-2016 03:25 AM
    There is nothing wrong with the phones. I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, and most of my friends can't afford new phones every year so they are using older phones. But, not a one of the is "snubbing" Android 5, Android 6, and there is sure interest in Android 7. But, absolutely none of my friends can buy a new phone just to get the new operating system when Android 4.4 runs their phone quite well.

Rather than users snubbing newer OS I think it speaks volumes for the satisfaction people have for even the older versions of Android.
    08-19-2016 05:19 AM
    Have had LP and MM on the Turbo 2 with no problems. Don't know why you are worried about N it should be solid.
    08-19-2016 07:11 AM
    Once N is released, I'll have it on my phone in as much time as it takes me to download the image and load it on my 6P. As an example...

Google can't force OEMs to get new versions out to their phones faster... they are trying their best to encourage it, and trying to modify Android to make it easier... but even then you have the issue of old phones, still in use, that are long past their expiration date.

The last release of KitKat is now well over two years old... 4.4.4 dropped in March of 2014 or there abouts, but that was specific to Nexus devices and some Motos... 4.4.2 was the last mass market version of KK, and I think that came in Dec of 2013... and you can STILL find phones getting sold running that release. Hell, prior to the suit against Samsung, you could still buy some JB phones as of a few months ago.

So while I recognize everyone's situation is what it is... anyone who says "Oh, my old S3 is still good enough"... there are several dirt cheap and current devices on the market that would probably blow them away if the S3 is what they consider good enough.
    08-19-2016 03:04 PM
    After the MM debacle I have NO DESIRE to upgrade. If I could figure out a way to block it I would. If anybody has a way to stop the N update I'd appreciate it if you shared. I used some of the suggestions offered by members here to block MM but none of them worked.
    Root your phone and you will not get updates!!!
    08-19-2016 07:47 PM

I have lots of contacts, data, photo's, some docs, all my moto voice locations saved (which you have to do individually AT each location), linked hotmail accounts (what a pain that was), plus the phone itself customized to my liking. It's really not acceptable in my book to have to erase all that and start over each time you upgrade, and sometimes even for a security patch or funky app from the app store. You shouldn't have to fdr for everything.
    That's not what I consider user-friendly at all....and there's tons of folks here who agree.
    I had KitKat on my phone when I received it, I have upgraded to Lollipop and them to Marshmallow. I have never done a FDR, I have had to problem with it. I figured I would do a FDR if I had problems, I never had any problem so I never did a FDR. My two cents worth.
    gammerthumbs likes this.
    08-19-2016 08:02 PM
    I used to dread doing a factory reset but with the new automatic backup to the Google Drive it's really a snap. I have all my WiFi passwords in place, my contacts all restore. I don't usually have many photos on my camera but they come back. I do have to reset settings on some of my apps but not all.

No, doing a Factory Reset is not the hassle it used to be.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    08-20-2016 04:30 AM
    I've have had Nougat on the 6p for awhile now with no issues to speak of. There's no way I would go back to Marshmallow at this point ...
    gammerthumbs and ptkelly like this.
    08-20-2016 07:41 AM
    I don't think it's necessarily the fault of Google. It's a general issue with all software upgrades. As an avid PC user I used to update my computer to the latest Windows software when ever they were released and more often than not I got slower performance. New OS software means you should update your hardware as a general rule. Nougat should be fine for the devices that are designed to exceed the recommended specifications and phones designed to run it like LG V20 and Nexus phones but for other older phones it will be hit and miss. Obviously phones like note 7 should be fine but 2 year old phones like HTC one m8 will probably see performance hits therefore it won't probably be worth it...
    08-20-2016 10:18 PM
    A friend's son lost his smartphone in a flash flood and I went shopping for an inexpensive replacement. I live in Oaxaca, Mexico. Things are expensive here but services are cheap. The "flagship" Samsung and LG phones were way out of my price range at $700 USD and up. The cheaper smart phones were coming with Android 4.4, KitKat. Then I stumbled across one that was cheap enough I thought it was an error but the store assured me that was the price. It came with Android 5.1. Works amazingly well. I sent a text message to my nephew giving the specs and he's excited, too.

Side note. I did a cache wipe this morning on my phone running Android 7 and I was shocked at how quickly it finished. Less than five seconds.
    08-21-2016 04:41 AM
    Marshmallow is a "fixed" Lollipop, but to be fair, Apple also focused on fixing buggy iOS during the same time period. They both got on shaky ground 2yrs ago.

N is rock solid stable - I'm running it on two devices. There are a ton of improvements under the hood and in the UI. No question if you can get it, upgrade.
    ptkelly likes this.
    08-21-2016 03:20 PM
37 12