View Poll Results: What's your feelings on Nougat?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going to upgrade as soon as it's released

4 50.00%
  • I'm going to watch and wait before I upgrade

3 37.50%
  • I don't plan on upgrading

1 12.50%
08-21-2016 03:20 PM
37 12
tools
    Google has developed a habit of creating more bloated, buggier, heavier, and more hardware and battery intensive OS' as time goes on. Lollipop, and especially Marshmallow, are considered by most to be the worst android systems ever, and Marshmallow has the distinction of being the least used system ever, closely followed by Lollipop. They're on a miniscule portion of android devices.

Since Nougat is based on Marshmallow, with even more features most will never use, can we really expect it to be any less buggy, lighter on resources, or more stabile than 6? And how's it going to work with a play store full of apps not designed for it yet?

How many of you guys are willing to upgrade your current phone without a second thought to Nougat? And how many are going to sit back like we did with Marshmallow and wait to see how it goes over, then pass on it because we decide its not worth the hassle?

I've put a lot of time and effort into setting my phone up and getting it to work decent for me on Marshmallow (my phone came with it). The ONLY thing that interests me in Nougat is the enhanced doze feature that's supposed to help save battery when you're on the go, not just when the phone is sitting still. But I only use an average of 15% of my battery a day (I LOVE doze on Marshmallow ), so battery life is not an issue for me. And I see that Nougat doze on the go feature creating problems with phone and app functions when you're moving.

So personally I think I'm going to sit this one out, I have no interest in a factory reset to try out something that is basically what I already have, except greener and most likely more problematic at first (or the whole time lol). I don't like problematic.
    I hope Nougats a step in a different, better direction for android, but with what its built on and Google's treatment of it so far, it sure looks like another heavy step in the wrong direction

We have to take a lot of the blame here tho, because we can't complain about heavy, buggy, battery and processor draining OS' when we're constantly demanding more, more, more features we'll never use. You can't build a solid, stable, polished, economical, sweet running OS when the public wants you to change it big every year

I want something that works great and then leave it the hell alone. Change is good when it's fine tuning an already good thing. Change isn't good when it's done just for the sake of it, and rushed out to keep the customers happy and the market share up

I see why so many people I know use iphones, I thought it was a status thing, but after playing with some, I realized it's because they just plain WORK.

Please Google start giving us operating systems that just plain work.
    Inders99 likes this.
    08-16-2016 07:47 AM
    Not sure if this is serious or not, but ok. Most of the improvements in LP, MM and N have been on battery life, fixing the runtime and security. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want those. As for being snubbed, MM is already on over 15% and MM & LP combined are over 50% of users. I do recall 5.0 was buggy for a month or so when it first released but 5.1 fixed that and 6.0 released stable. I've been running the N preview on all of my devices since it came out this year and there is nothing to worry about from a stability front. I'm not sure that anyone is seriously making the claim that either L or M was the worst operating system ever. Just out of curiosity, what device(s) are you using them on to walk away with that impression?
    08-16-2016 09:25 AM
    Um, Marshmallow has been pretty good to me in my experience.

Lollipop 5.0 is pretty bad, but 5.1 fixed a lot of its issues and 6.0 really cleaned it up.

What device are you using, if I may ask?
    08-16-2016 09:26 AM
    How many of you guys are willing to upgrade your current phone without a second thought to Nougat? And how many are going to sit back like we did with Marshmallow and wait to see how it goes over, then pass on it because we decide its not worth the hassle?
    I already did... I've been running the N Previews on my 6P since they dropped, and the last final preview build has been nothing less than stellar... stable, reliable, good on battery life, etc... I have zero complaints about it so I assume the full release will be pretty good.

I am guessing here, but I suspect your issues are with what OEM builds your phone (and its version of Android) and not with Google. Face is that M was an excellent revision over LP, and N continues that and refines it even further.. anyone who wants to skip them are doing themselves a great disservice.... or need to find a new phone manufacturer.
    anon(55900) and ptkelly like this.
    08-16-2016 09:47 AM
    After the MM debacle I have NO DESIRE to upgrade. If I could figure out a way to block it I would. If anybody has a way to stop the N update I'd appreciate it if you shared. I used some of the suggestions offered by members here to block MM but none of them worked.
    08-16-2016 10:12 AM
    What was the MM debacle? And on which device(s) did it occur?
    MikeCorsten and anon(55900) like this.
    08-16-2016 10:13 AM
    They're on a miniscule portion of android devices.
    FYI : over half of all phones in active use are on 5.0 or higher.

After Lollipop & Marshmallow being snubbed by the majority, how is Nougat going to fare?-untitled-picture.png
    Laura Knotek and MikeCorsten like this.
    08-16-2016 10:26 AM
    I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that Android users as a whole hate Lollipop and Marshmallow...? Or that manufacturers do?
    anon(55900) likes this.
    08-16-2016 10:39 AM
    I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that Android users as a whole hate Lollipop and Marshmallow...? Or that manufacturers do?
    That's basically my question. Other than L 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0 and 6.01 have been extremely well received by both the public and media. They're the best mobile platforms available until N drops, at which time, with Google Assistant, many phones will become more intelligent than those holding them Or maybe that gets a not sure. I like it, but I'm weird.
    anon(55900) likes this.
    08-16-2016 10:41 AM
    I know a lot of people running Android 4.4 because they have no choice. The assertion that the majority don't want to upgrade is unfounded. I was happy with Android 5.01. I was happy with Android 6. And, I'm very happy with the Android 7 beta so why wouldn't I get Android 7 when it's released.

You probably shouldn't though. I'd keep watching and waiting to see whatever.
    08-16-2016 11:10 AM
    Every one of your statements is completely unfounded. L, an M were both significant improvements over their predecessors and N is solid as rock, I've been running it since Preview 2 and it's great. There as never and "debacle", it simply didn't happen.
    Markxmlx likes this.
    08-16-2016 01:19 PM
    I have not experienced any issues with Lollipop (other than on some very early 5.0 builds). 5.1 was fine and didn't have problematic bugs or stability issues.

I have not experienced any issues at all with Marshmallow, and I did not do any FDR after upgrading to it.
    08-16-2016 01:41 PM
    I'm thinking the OP needs to either read Droid Life or start writing for 'em.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/16...-updates-suck/

They're into ranty clickbait, too.
    08-16-2016 04:23 PM
    The stats I found on the net broke down the percentage of each android os being used, and L and M were the the least. The info was from some android news site ( I should have saved the link) and has been backed up by others on here. I know its the internet so we can all probably find differing facts But I've also read on MANY sites including this one that Lollipop and especially Marshmallow weren't well received by the critics or users..... that again probably differs by what you're reading, although even on here if you do a search on dislikes of MM you'll find as many or more than likes.

I know its an android forum, and I'm not planning on leaving or just bashing for fun here, I'm talking about real world problems that are well acknowledged in MM, like the terrible bluetooth connectivity issues, the adoptable storage issues, the terrible battery drain that many have, the multiple fdr's and cache wipes to get a new install working semi-decent, the out of nowhere glitches and bugs etc. All these and more are listed on this site a click away. Those are all problems that have increased with each newer version of android.......it's just not as stable and easy to set-up/use as it use to be. I've had hands on use with now with all the current builds of ios, android, and windows, and android MM is the buggiest of the 3.

I'm sticking with android because you get the best phone bang for your buck by far, and it has an app for everything to make your life easier. But it also seems to be getting bigger and buggier with tons of features complicating things that most folks will never use.

I hope the folks who have used Nougat and say its the best yet are right......if that's the case down the road I'll probably use it. But it's no secret that everyone here, including most all the moderators, recommend an fdr after a major upgrade. I personally found that out when my MXPE (which is about as pure android as you can get) auto-updated to MM out of the box, and it was unusable until I did an fdr (which is also what motorola recommended).

I have lots of contacts, data, photo's, some docs, all my moto voice locations saved (which you have to do individually AT each location), linked hotmail accounts (what a pain that was), plus the phone itself customized to my liking. It's really not acceptable in my book to have to erase all that and start over each time you upgrade, and sometimes even for a security patch or funky app from the app store. You shouldn't have to fdr for everything.
    That's not what I consider user-friendly at all....and there's tons of folks here who agree.

I'll keep using android because overall it fits my needs best, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it's problems. I post this stuff up hoping it'll work it's way to google along with others feedback, and help them make better operating systems.

You don't get anywhere by just sucking up the problems and not saying anything, or downplaying them.
    08-16-2016 07:02 PM
    You don't get anywhere by just sucking up the problems and not saying anything, or downplaying them.
    This is true, but I think many of us are saying that we're simply not having the problems. That's why we were asking which device(s), because that can make a difference if it's OEM or Android issues or something else.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-16-2016 07:06 PM
    After the MM debacle I have NO DESIRE to upgrade. If I could figure out a way to block it I would. If anybody has a way to stop the N update I'd appreciate it if you shared. I used some of the suggestions offered by members here to block MM but none of them worked.
    Inders if you want to avoid the auto-update to Nougat when it comes out don't plug your phone in to charge when its on and connected to wifi.....that's how it's set-up to update by default. Always charge it off, or be sure you aren't connected to wifi when it's on and charging.
    As far as the constant reminders, there's ways around that but I believe it involves rooting, and isn't worth it in my opinion.
    Aquila and Inders99 like this.
    08-16-2016 07:14 PM
    Inders if you want to avoid the auto-update to Nougat when it comes out don't plug your phone in to charge when its on and connected to wifi.....that's how it's set-up to update by default. Always charge it off, or be sure you aren't connected to wifi when it's on and charging.
    As far as the constant reminders, there's ways around that but I believe it involves rooting, and isn't worth it in my opinion.
    Once on N, updates happen in the background and you can opt out of that functionality.
    08-16-2016 07:16 PM
    FYI : over half of all phones in active use are on 5.0 or higher.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled picture.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	235403
    50.7% to be exact. From Google's dashboard: https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

This number is kind of skewed. Let's say someone buys a brand new Android that is NOT a flagship device...say this one, for example, that is still for sale on AT&T's website.

This phone comes with KK out of the box, with no path of OS updates. This phone is stuck on KitKat. It won't be until they purchase a new phone that they will be counted among those that are on 5.0 or higher. In other parts of the world this is almost normal, with buying devices outright is common.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-16-2016 10:49 PM
    50.7% to be exact. From Google's dashboard: https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

This number is kind of skewed. Let's say someone buys a brand new Android that is NOT a flagship device...say this one, for example, that is still for sale on AT&T's website.

This phone comes with KK out of the box, with no path of OS updates. This phone is stuck on KitKat. It won't be until they purchase a new phone that they will be counted among those that are on 5.0 or higher. In other parts of the world this is almost normal, with buying devices outright is common.
    That's what I was talking about. I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, and most of the people I know are using Android 4.4 because that's what came on their phone and there is no upgrade. I think it's a big, and illogical, jump to assume everyone is using the OS of their choice. A friend who works in a cell phone store wanted to play with my Android 7 beta a bit since it will be a year before he sees it in the store.
    08-17-2016 06:23 AM
    Don't know what the problem is M is great for me try getting a better phone

Posted via the Android Central App from my moto g 3rd Gen
    08-17-2016 08:26 AM
    I'm totally confused along with everyone else here. I'm not sure what the OP has against MM or Nougat. Lollipop had issues but MM and N have been great.
    08-17-2016 01:03 PM
    You cite absolutely no sources, talk about a "site" this info is from and make claims with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. Are you even using Android? Are you using a $50 android phone running Froyo and using that as a reference for the software experience that everyone should be using to determine the quality of Android Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat?

Engadget gave Lollipop 9/10.
    https://www.engadget.com/2014/11/14/...llipop-review/
    The Verge also praised it. 8.7/10
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7...ollipop-review

Marshmallow reviews:
    The Verge 8.5/10 - http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/15/9...hmallow-review
    TrustedReviews 9/10
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/androi...hmallow-review

Every review I have read for these new versions of the OS have praised Google's repeated success at iterating and evolving the Android platform to be more aesthetically pleasing while also being more functional at the same time.

On top of that who are you to evaluate the quality of a product you barely use regularly (15% battery usage in a day)? You didn't even bother the mention the device you are using and what issues you were having.

I see why so many people I know use iphones, I thought it was a status thing, but after playing with some, I realized it's because they just plain WORK.
    Oh wait. I think I know.

It's a given that broadening the feature set will in turn result in higher system requirements but you can't improve software by thinking about how 3+ year old hardware will handle it. Most people upgrade their phones at least every two years so it would not make sense from an efficiency stand point to use the resources to indirectly support devices that barely anyone uses anymore.

Furthermore, Google does all of this while managing to sustain millions of different devices with different hardware configurations with Google Play Services that are able to run on a variety of versions (most support KitKat and up). If a two year old Samsung device can't run the latest version well the blame can't be diverted to Google or the OS.

As a user above demonstrated with an image most existing Android devices are running Lollipop. This comes from the Android developers site which provides this information so that developers know what versions of Android their apps should be targeting.

Additionally, I have witnessed first hand how these OS's are like on launch. I've had a Nexus 5 running Lollipop and it was excellent. After that it got upgraded to Marshmallow and it was even better than Lollipop. Faster, smoother, while having more features than ever before. My mother still uses a Galaxy S4 with Lollipop and it's still very useable. It's still smooth and responsive.

Now I have a 6P running Nougat DP5. Again, it runs very well. It's pretty much release ready at this stage.

Your distaste for the latest versions of Android are likely the result of having used some bad device which is simply not a fair way to objectively determine the quality of any software. It's like calling Windows bad because your trash $500 laptop with an awful screen and abysmal hard drive couldn't run it properly and then comparing that software experience to that of Mac OS X running on a $1500 MacBook Pro. Senseless.

Alternatively, if you were using a Nexus device I would assume that you have never cleared your cache or performed a factory reset if your device was running into problems such as rogue apps draining the battery or causing performance issues immediately after updating to a newer version of Android or even bothered to ask someone for help.

My opinion is that this is a grossly ill-informed post with absolutely no knowledge used to write it.

I honestly can't tell if this post is serious or not but it really got on my nerves.
    frankenhooker likes this.
    08-17-2016 07:45 PM
    Kit Kat used a lot more resources than Lollipop or Marshmallow.
    Google developed material design to be a lot less heavier that Kit Kat and all those before it.
    08-17-2016 08:01 PM
    I honestly can't tell if this post is serious or not but it really got on my nerves.
    Ahh....spoken like a true die hard android lover
    You're fun
    Am I serious or not?.....who knows lol.
    But you should read my second post (#14)....in fact you should have read more than the first post before you got all fired up behind the keyboard
    Freedom of speech...that's the neat thing about the internet and this forum, you can proclaim your love for the perfection that is android, and I can like certain things about it a lot.....and not like others

And I wanted to add I use my MXPE all day every day, but I use a bluetooth earpiece/headset almost exclusively, and rarely pick the phone up from my desk, or turn the screen on much, so the phone is always in doze mode......which is why I can use 15% battery a day We were discussing that in the MXPE forum I believe, and that was fairly typical with other folks with the same phone habits as me.
    The doze feature is the best thing ever put on a phone....period
    08-18-2016 09:57 AM
    you can proclaim your love for the perfection that is android, and I can like certain things about it a lot.....and not like others
    Agree. There's a lot of stuff in the Android world that straight up would make me hulksmash until I remember, "These are just toys. Doesn't matter". Luckily Android has so many variations that just about anyone can find what they want, and those that can't ... well, we're not interacting with those people here.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    08-18-2016 10:02 AM
37 12