All Things Nougat; android central articles on nougat in one place

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
How about "What recent devices it won't run on." IOW: "Why my one year old Nexus 5 was the most expensive smartphone I could buy".

Considering Nougat won't run on my Nexus 5 (which I bought right before the 5X was released last year), that makes my one year old Nexus 5 a pretty darn expensive phone. Ships with Lollipop, upgrade to Marshmallow, and Google says, "Go pound sand" when it comes to Nougat.

That iPhone I passed on last year now doesn't look very expensive. My son's iPhone 4s was recently updated to iOS 9.3.4 (and runs just fine). That's a five year old phone (and I know it won't run iOS 10). I'd love to find an attorney to file a class-action lawsuit against Google for selling a phone (and it was still the latest one when I bought mine) that becomes obsolete after a year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5 was the debut device for kit kat and it released in 2013. It received over two years of OS updates and is in its final year of security updates. Buying it in 2015 doesn't change that it is a 2 (now 3) year old phone. If you bought it just before the 5X launched, the nexus 6 was the latest version and it is receiving Nougat as it is the phone that launched with Lollipop.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
How about "What recent devices it won't run on." IOW: "Why my one year old Nexus 5 was the most expensive smartphone I could buy".

Considering Nougat won't run on my Nexus 5 (which I bought right before the 5X was released last year), that makes my one year old Nexus 5 a pretty darn expensive phone. Ships with Lollipop, upgrade to Marshmallow, and Google says, "Go pound sand" when it comes to Nougat.

That iPhone I passed on last year now doesn't look very expensive. My son's iPhone 4s was recently updated to iOS 9.3.4 (and runs just fine). That's a five year old phone (and I know it won't run iOS 10). I'd love to find an attorney to file a class-action lawsuit against Google for selling a phone (and it was still the latest one when I bought mine) that becomes obsolete after a year.

That is not unusual, the entire market for everything is, 'latest / greatest', (if you allow the marketing to control one's self.) The media/reviewers seem to get $ kick backs from every company. Over inflating the amazing miracles of the latest greatest (OS and Phone). You have a great phone, and it probably serves you well and will continue to do so for some time. The phone makers want the OS's to continually come out with 'updates' every so often to stroke a fury of update envy all in order to incite more phone sells. Most updates are so trivial that the majority see no obvious changes in how to do what they do with their phones. But it really sounds like you have iPhone envy and just needs a push to get one, go ahead and tell your wife that I said that all of us on AC said that you are right and that you must buy an iPhone today! You truly have been put out by Google (gosh darn that evil Google), that they decide to personally pick on you is terrible and you have been terribly slighted. Now go get that iPhone sir and I'm certain it will solve all of the problems in your life..... until they come out with another latest/greatest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20