Just installed Nougat

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just got the download and installed it. Let us know when you get it. My guess is that we beta testers will get it with the first group to be rolled out.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got it but disappointed it see that there's no manual exposure settings for the camera. I read that Google Was bringing that back.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more with you. Literally though, nothing has changed whatsoever. I mean as I keep on bringing it up, I want to see the manual exposure settings for the camera back asap! The navigation buttons being changed a little bit would be a nice tweak as well.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
For me the only noticeable change is that my Kindle app loads much faster now. With beta 4 it was glitchy and sometimes didn't load and with beta 5 it loaded but took maybe 15 seconds. Now, two or three seconds and it runs great.

I moved to another camera app so I could get .dng files if I want. I'm using Manual Camera and so far it works great with Android 7. I tried FV 5 with beta 5 and it didn't work well. I don't know about now because I'm pretty happy with Manual Camera.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Got it this afternoon. Looks the same, it even has the same cat Easter egg, but that's not surprising, dev 5 was the release candidate so you would expect only minor bug fixes in this release.

BTW I hope they start Oreo betas much earlier, I'm not comfortable running released code, I really like being on the bleeding edge. My computers are mostly running Fedora which is Redhat's dev platform, it doesn't feel natural to me to be running something stable.

Last edited:

njgill05

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
True there isn't much concrete difference between the beta and the final release that I've found, but the overall system runs a bit faster and smoother and any hiccups with apps has been eliminated for me at least.

wxboss

May 8, 2011
Visit site
For those who are not in the beta program, you will notice a difference once Nougat is installed. There are visual/notification changes and even the Settings screen will display your current option (e.g. the Location setting will display what option you have chosen (GPS/Location/Off) within the Location display frame, so you don't need to tap on the Location tab and go into the Location setting page to see what is currently selected/active).

I've just installed it and will most likely play around with it more later, but if you are on MM, you will notice definite changes after installing Nougat. It looks really good so far!

Edit: I also notice that it freed up some storage space on my phone as well. While on MM, I had about 3.7 GB of storage used (I have the Nexus 5X 16 GB version). After install and before factory wipe, I have 2.83 GB used. :)

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is something else I've noticed...in the final release of Nougat regardless of if you're using the Google now launcher, or the Nexus launcher, if you go into the Google app settings, there's no longer anymore option for autorotation of the screen. Again not too big of a deal but just To mention ! it. Also I'm the Google camera app, regardless of landscape or portrait orientation, even though it's very dim, you can now always see the navigation buttons vs before. Here's what I'm talking about. Also I did finally changed up the screen doing density and zoomed it out quite a bit which adds a lot more real estate to my phones screens. Still usable of course but a lot more screen real estate.

fce9a8c53786533ec1165b400662571e.jpg

ce8da534ae2181ecca14605ef27e63f4.jpg

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I've got it but disappointed it see that there's no manual exposure settings for the camera. I read that Google Was bringing that back.

So, basically, there are no changes at all going from DP5 to official N?

True there isn't much concrete difference between the beta and the final release that I've found, but the overall system runs a bit faster and smoother and any hiccups with apps has been eliminated for me at least.

Google had already said there wouldn't be much changes between the DP5 and the final version of Nougat. That will be for the maintenance release that will come out when the new Nexus phones are released. I also expect a "major" camera update at that time.

...if you go into the Google app settings, there's no longer anymore option for autorotation of the screen.

There should be an option by why anyone would want the homescreen to auto rotate on a phone is beyond me. Apps (like YouTube) can auto rotate by themselves.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Changes to the camera will come when Google updates the camera app, the camera app isn't directly updated by Android updates.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Well before in the Google app settings there was an option to turn home screen Auto rotation on or off, that option is gone. I mean now not a big deal, just saying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey