Nougat battery drain on Nexus 6p

scoutzdad

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
For me turning off 5GHz WiFi did the trick. Did a factory reset, but still had a lot of wake time on Android OS. Not til I turned off my 5GHz wifi connection and went back to 2.4GHz did I see a noticeable improvement.

ryankiechle

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Every since taking the OTA to 7 (Stock) I have been seeing terrible battery drain. I gave it the week+ to see if it was just because I was using the phone differently...

Standard morning for me is about 6 hours of "use/talking/texting and lots of emailing" just over 1 hour of SOT

Cleared Cache, still seeing android and system taking large amount, not dozing.. terrible 2 days... around 20% left by noon, charged for the afternoon

Reset to Factory and seeing a huge improvement, at 75% at noon

I did a restore from google, so all the same apps just "fresh install"

I'll see how it goes for the rest of the week... but right now, at least I don't feel like I have to carry a charger in my pocket...

jayhay312

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My experience has been very similar. Keep us posted in the next week. If things improve for you I'm probably going to give a factory reset a try.

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine is considerable worst i have done 2 resets flashed the OTA image not the full factory image wipe cache still now changed max SOT i can get is 3:30 with moderate use I am now uninstalling apps to see how it changes things see if am app is causing the issue

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
For me turning off 5GHz WiFi did the trick. Did a factory reset, but still had a lot of wake time on Android OS. Not til I turned off my 5GHz wifi connection and went back to 2.4GHz did I see a noticeable improvement.

How does one turn off 5GHz WiFi? I cannot find in any WiFi settings how to do that.

Thanks for any help! (Note that I am on a 5X running 7.0)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought my 6P used about 6 months ago, and I never have been all that impressed with its battery life. It was OK on Marshmallow, but I thought it could be better. I got Nougat via official OTA earlier this week. Battery life has been somewhat worse since then.

I have not ever yet done a factory reset other than the initial reset before setting it up for the first time. There have been many monthly updates and one OS version update since then. I'm about to do that and see if it helps.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
How does one turn off 5GHz WiFi? I cannot find in any WiFi settings how to do that.
Do you have WiFi Assistant enabled? Or is it built into the final version of Nougat? Could be the assistant is in control of selecting the best frequency band per network.

The option to select 2.5 or 5 used to be under Settings > WiFi > Advanced > Frequency band, I think. But it's no longer available on my N6 either (which is running DP5 with WiFi Asst enabled).

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Do you have WiFi Assistant enabled? Or is it built into the final version of Nougat? Could be the assistant is in control of selecting the best frequency band per network.

The option to select 2.5 or 5 used to be under Settings > WiFi > Advanced > Frequency band, I think. But it's no longer available on my N6 either (which is running DP5 with WiFi Asst enabled).

I don't have WiFi Asst - and not listed on Play as an available app

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's not an app; it was rolled out as part of an update to Connectivity Services. The toggle lives under Settings > Google > Networking. But if you don't got it, you don't got it.

NazmiVDW

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
yeah i agree. love the extended Doze feature - sometimes if I ignore my phone in my bag or pocket while on the move, the battery level didn't budge much (unlike with Marshmallow) Put Data Saver on top of this and it may go on for even longer.

scoutzdad

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry just saw this.... I didn't physically turn it off in the phone, I just "forgot" the 5GHz network my wireless router broadcasts so my phone I only connects to my 2.4 GHz network. My router is setup to broadcast both a 5GHz and 2.4GHz band. Seemed to do the trick for me.

maj429

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I FOUND OUT HOW TO STOP NEXUS 6P NOUGAT BATTERY DRAIN FOR ME. Go into developer options, disable automatic system updates, and disable always allow wifi roam scans. Restart. Fixed.

Bryan Coe

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I just received the 7.1 update a couple of days ago (beta program) and so far it hasn't helped with the battery drain. It may have even made it worse. The first Nougat update actually made my battery last longer than before. I was getting almost 2 days out of it. Now I get maybe 8 hours. When I look at what's using the most power it is by far "Android System" and second "Android OS." I've never seen that happen before. It's getting very frustrating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member