Has anyone ever experienced their camera app crashing when trying. To launch it by trouble pressing the power button shortcut when Nova launcher at all? Thanks.
    09-12-2016 11:30 AM
    I don't run Nova Launcher, but in general the Google Camera app is a cornucopia of awful. Since this is a 7.0 forum, I'll point out that it's far better in terms of stability in the beta and released versions of Nougat. With that said, as with Marshmallow, Nougat can lower the resources as battery drops and I get more instability and crashing like you describe trying to get the camera running when the battery is low.
    09-16-2016 06:54 AM
    See for me, I love taking photos, and most people have said on the forums that the Google camera all works great. Most of the time t does, however, there are instances where I really miss manual exposure still. As for other apps in the play store , some of them do have manual exposure settings, however, they don't have panoramic more, or the occasional usage of photo sphere. I could do without photo sphere, but panoramic more is a deal breaker for me honestly. They have advanced settings to for iso,etc,but I simply don't care too much for that. I so, for the most part I do love using g Google camera with HDR auto mode on, and flash off, unless I absolutely need to use the flash. I
    09-16-2016 08:27 AM
    I don't have a problem with Google Camera but I wish I could save raw files. I don't remember it ever crashing.
    09-16-2016 09:15 AM
    I believe it was due to nova launcher unfortunately. Has anyone had any issues not beg able t send out MMS picture messages when using google messenger?tried toggling airplane mode, rebooted my phone, nothing. First time ever this has ever happened it's weird and annoying.

Update: I can send 1 picture at a time but I tried to send 4 at once before and it kept on failing.
    09-16-2016 09:18 AM
    I don't have a problem with Google Camera but I wish I could save raw files. I don't remember it ever crashing.
    My experience across multiple Nexus handsets in stock form is radically different. The camera app has always been a buggy embarrassment to Google and has always crashed and lagged for me. I can't fathom how they can just leave it in so sorry a state.
    09-17-2016 11:43 AM
    Fortunately, for those with problems there are a lot of alternatives.
    09-17-2016 01:22 PM
    I changed it my camera settings to flash in auto mode figured since we don't have manual exposure anymore, it's hr next best thing.
    09-17-2016 03:44 PM
    Fortunately, for those with problems there are a lot of alternatives.
    At the barest of minimums, the stock camera app should function reliably. It shouldn't wreak havoc on the phone as it shakes itself to life. It shouldn't arbitrarily decide it's going to ignore a shutter release. It shouldn't arbitrarily decide it doesn't want to write a captured photo or video to storage. It shouldn't introduce dropped frames in video it captures. It shouldn't take 30 seconds to process and store a photo. It shouldn't crash and/or lock up the phone so badly that it requires a reboot.

The camera app should be one of the shining jewels of any handset. The very existence of Apple makes this mandatory. The fact that Google can't seem to make this so is an embarrassment to Nexus/Google apps.

Choice is wonderful - but the implication is always that the choice is between good things. Yes there are other cameras but Google's camera must also be good, otherwise -we have no choice- but to use third party. That's not choice in the truest sense.
    09-18-2016 10:08 AM
    And I am not having those problems with Google Camera. If I were, I'd look at Manual Camera or FV-5 or some other program.
    09-18-2016 12:31 PM
    I am not either. Just asking people here what you think of the Google camera app as well. Like I said, I always use hdr auto mode, and now I just leave flash set to automatic.
    09-18-2016 03:01 PM
    The only issue I'm experiencing is the truly awful panorama performance. The apps stitching capabilities are terrible. I get huge, jaggy transitions where the photos should line up.
    09-18-2016 06:01 PM
    The only issue I'm experiencing is the truly awful panorama performance. The apps stitching capabilities are terrible. I get huge, jaggy transitions where the photos should line up.
    Interesting, because whenever I take panorama shots, it comes out fine. Do you take pictures in using HDR Mode? Do you use the flash?
    09-18-2016 08:35 PM
    Just finished taking a bunch of pictures and didn't experience any of those issues described earlier.
    09-18-2016 11:27 PM
    I agree. I don't get any of those issues either.
    09-19-2016 03:19 AM
    Interesting, because whenever I take panorama shots, it comes out fine. Do you take pictures in using HDR Mode? Do you use the flash?
    The only panorama pictures I've taken were outside and it was sunny. I have used HDR mode a couple of times but not while taking a panorama. I tried a few using a different technique which came out a little better. I held the phone close to my body and pivoted with my feet. I read somewhere that technique can make or break the results with Google Camera. My old Lumia 822 had a panorama camera that did a great job of stitching. You just took the pictures and it did the rest. Overall I think the camera is not too bad.

Edit: So I enabled auto HDR and worked on my technique a bit more and I got a panorama that looks pretty good. Maybe I just need more time to work on it. The first few I took I used the same technique that worked with my Windows phones and maybe that just doesn't work too well with Google camera.
    09-20-2016 04:17 PM
    Nougat final on my Nexus 6 still has awful camera performance. The shutter button still "locks out" during some HDR operations (processing just one photo). The button was white with no circle inside it and wouldn't register a shutter release. It did this before updating too.
    10-06-2016 07:31 PM
    Just read the DXO review of the Pixel camera. Supposedly very fast.

They also graphed the HDR shutter rate... Apparently most phones before it will fall back to non-HDR when processing the current HDR snaps is too much. Even the 6P.

My phone doesn't seem to do that, it is locking me out so to speak until the processing ends.
    10-07-2016 03:38 PM