Hello, I just got a Nexus 5X and upgraded it to Nougat. I like it very much so far but I have a question. I just got the September security patch which is a good thing but it automatically downloaded over my cellular data plan and I didn't get any notification until it was ready to install. I've looked through all the settings and can't find any way to change this behavior. I'm not opposed to the patches, I would just like to be notified that one is available and have the option to postpone the download until I can connect to my wifi. I could have done this today but I didn't have my wifi enabled at the time.

The possible solution I've found is turn off automatic updates in the developer options. Anyone know of a better way?

Thanks
    09-13-2016 04:37 PM
    I had this happen yesterday; on my drive home from work a system update downloaded over mobile data. I have the Google Fi 1GB/month plan, I'm just past the half month point & had used just under half my data, but the system update pushed my data to 1.63 so it's going to cost me $10 extra this month. It's only $10 but still... it really shouldn't be happening.

Developer Options on my phone is toggled off; when I toggle it on it shows Automatic Updates is grey (not on, right?). So it doesn't seem like changing this setting will resolve this.

Is there some other setting that will force updates to only download over wifi? I have it set this way for updates in the Play Store, but I can't find a setting for system updates.
    09-14-2016 08:27 AM
    Yeah, I can't find any way to force it to wifi. I hope someone can help us out.
    09-14-2016 08:44 AM
    There is a thread over at Android Forums that has more info if you're interested.
    http://androidforums.com/threads/dis...twork.1070046/
    Hypnotoadd likes this.
    09-15-2016 02:22 PM
    I'm over there too & have added to all the other postings on it - but your post here is the one that showed me I wasn't the only one this happened to, so thanks!!
    badcat likes this.
    09-15-2016 03:27 PM
    I'm over there too & have added to all the other postings on it - but your post here is the one that showed me I wasn't the only one this happened to, so thanks!!
    Well your post did the same for me. Seeing as there isn't action in this thread I'm going to concentrate my energy in the Android Forum thread. See ya there!
    Hypnotoadd likes this.
    09-15-2016 05:36 PM
    I mentioned it at AF but should probably be mentioned here for good measure...

If you experience this issue, please be sure to add your voice to the official Nexus Help Forum thread here:
    https://productforums.google.com/for...M/uXjM4C2yDAAJ

More comments in that thread will increase the visibility of the problem with Google.
    Hypnotoadd and badcat like this.
    09-16-2016 10:45 AM
    I mentioned it at AF but should probably be mentioned here for good measure...

If you experience this issue, please be sure to add your voice to the official Nexus Help Forum thread here:
    https://productforums.google.com/for...M/uXjM4C2yDAAJ

More comments in that thread will increase the visibility of the problem with Google.
    Thanks buddy!
    09-16-2016 02:33 PM