Allo vs messenger

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
From a technical standpoint, here's an observation that I can make you as a good comparison between Google Messenger and Google allo for a messaging platform standpoint. When you're in your message list and you hit the plus sign in the lower right-hand side and Google Messenger to create a new message to someone that contact list with or all contacts list or your frequent contact list in my opinion, takes forever to load. In Allo it's very smooth and in Google Messenger as a comparison is very choppy and it's very laggy and seems to freeze. And Google allo again, that action is very smooth, and the fluid. And if you don't know I'm talking about yourself. 6p Verizon messaging app so I'm not sure how that is but that's good and very interesting observation for you none the less. So, yes, in my books plus one for Allo. Allo.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what it also comes down to. I just hope that allo doesn't consume too much battery or ram. Using allo so far see!s a bit weird though, I don't know, maybe it's just me. However ifyou send an sms to someone who doesn't have allo, regardless of he os platform it literally like like a spam message, unfortunately.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
In the US, we use SMS more than we use a chat app like Allo or WhatsApp so until Google integrates SMS capabilities into Allo it will not be used widespread in the US.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes unfortunately this is true thats what part of my review for the app in the play store said as well. Hopefully google fixes that issue soon!

chesterdawg

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
In the US, we use SMS more than we use a chat app like Allo or WhatsApp so until Google integrates SMS capabilities into Allo it will not be used widespread in the US.

Agreed. I want an SMS/MMS & chat app in one package. How hard can that be if you're google? Oh yeah, it should also be intuitive and actually work (I really should not have to say that!)

Lepennenere

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
i currently use messenger for my sms/mms needs. I wonder why Google never took the best features of Hangouts and messenger and put them together in Allo. I installed Allo yesterday, then uninstalled it 20 minutes later.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the same goes for me as well. I installed, and tried using allo yesterday, then uninstalled it, and installed Textra. Much more customizable, and I love the heads up notifications for the quick reply as well. Nicely done, and very smooth and fluid as well.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I am seriously underwhelmed by Allo. So much so, I am not even going to download it.

I thought it was going to be Imessage for Android. I use to have an Iphone and I LOVED Imessage.

If I ever get one of "spam" texts to download Allo because a friend sends me a message, I will totally ignore and tell my friend to SMS me. I have no use for Allo. Facebook is more than enough Social Media for me. And having all my texts stored on Googles servers just doesn't sit well with me.

Nor does having Google "scan" my texts for promotional purposes. I don't use Gmail for that very reason.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The real challenge here is convincing your friends to move from WhatsApp/FB Messenger where everyone is to Allo... the inferior app of the bunch so far, it's going to take some very special updates and features to get people into Allo. To add salt to the wound, Google Assistant and Quick Replies are only full supported in English, waste of time really.

SabinBobo

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's the problem I have. I like Allo for what it is, but I will never convince anybody else to use it without SMS attached. They need to take Messenger, Allo, and Duo and put them together. Just do it in a cleaner and easier way than Hangouts.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Allo needs to have sms integration otherwise no one will use the messaging platform. Especially in the states.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That. Migytb very well be true, however that's why it's development is falling now. People dont see the need or the reason to use it.

I fully agree it's hard to find a use case for it in the US until they re-add SMS support and get rid of the spammy messages that show up when you send a message to a non indoctrinated friend. I've been playing with Allo for a few months and I'm not overly impressed with what was released as it's not very different from what we had in July. I hope that some of the features we saw in August are coming to phones soon and that the biggest one missing IMO, tablet support, shows up asap. Also, it absolutely does need a web app or desktop client and it's not ok to have released it without that. All that's just IMO.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I fully agree it's hard to find a use case for it in the US until they re-add SMS support and get rid of the spammy messages that show up when you send a message to a non indoctrinated friend. I've been playing with Allo for a few months and I'm not overly impressed with what was released as it's not very different from what we had in July. I hope that some of the features we saw in August are coming to phones soon and that the biggest one missing IMO, tablet support, shows up asap. Also, it absolutely does need a web app or desktop client and it's not ok to have released it without that. All that's just IMO.
I agree as well. If Google can quickly improve the platform, not just ingrate sms, it'll have a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae