Google now or Pixel launcher?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For your nexus 6p, which launcher are you using for the most stock Google experience? The apk file for the Pixel launcher isn't as smooth for getting to the Google now cards page, but the folders looks better in my opinion. What does everyone else think here?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pixel Launcher looks cleaner, more streamlined, and yes, the folders look nicer as well. You can see 4 icons at a time in each folder which is also very nice. The date is Usually forget about, or don't pay attention to, mostly because I'm not used to it being there on the home screen. The Google Tab for google now i have just gotten accustomed of hitting twice for my google now cards page. I love the swype up for the app draw, and no app draw button since everything for me is in folders. I't just a cleaner look in my opinion.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Google launcher for now. don't feel like rooting as I just locked the bootloader in preparation to sell it. (and I heard rooting is the only way to have google now work with that swipe to the right.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's true, however, I have gotten to accustomed to hitting the little G on my home screen and then clicking on the colored Google logo to go into my Google Now cards page. I just like it to look like the pics of phones. It looks so much cleaner and more unified without the app draw button and with the new folder look.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how much you rely on Google Now. If you regularly swipe to it from the launcher them GNL is the way to go.
You know the. More and more I think about it, I do like the look of the Pixel launcher, but you're right, accessing Google now cards page which I use religiously isn't a smooth operation. It takes to clicks to get to it vs swiping over a screen. I guess I can deal with the app draw button again but to customize icons , I am going to manually do the icon changes for myself 1 more time. Lol

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you now. I went back to the Google Now Launcher and I am just using Icon Changer app to make custom Icons for myself. Other than that, It's a great launcher, and yes, I love it!

anon(777192)

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm up in the air about it I've switched back and forth on both currently using pixel launcher but that's as of twenty minutes ago. Just got the new updated Version: 7.1.1-3359438 (31) has the weather now.

Last edited:

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Google "Now" launcher for quite a while........which I downloaded as an app from the Play Store.......but when I go into that listing in the My Apps section, the ONLY option I have for it is to "Open" it.......there's NO option in the Play Store listing to uninstall it. If that is part of the problem here, how do I quit using the Now launcher or uninstall?? I'd like to try the Pixel launcher, which I had read somewhere on this site that it was "available" in the Play Store. But when I did a search for it, none of the results are actual "official" looking Google results for it. At least the listed "developer" doesn't show as Google like it does on the Now launcher. Am I missing something??

anon(777192)

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I got the apk from apkmirror.com. The Pixel launcher is suppose to be a Pixel phone exclusive that's why you don't have the option in the play store.
But you can get it else where.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will work on non-Pixel phones. I have it saved in my Google Dive folder and have used it before. not all of the features of the launcher work such as the swype left for the google cards page, but it looks like the launcher.