MIssing Apps in Google Backup

stevekat

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded to Android 7.1.1 on my original Nexus 6. Not sure if this is meaningful to my question.

I am now having trouble moving to a new Nexus 6 that is out of the box with Android 6.x.x, from this original Nexus 6. The original phone reports that it has synced apps and other items.

However, if I go to https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard and look at the apps listed, there are only 22 reported...and I have more than 100 installed. And when I sign into my Google account with the new phone, I do not seem to get anything in terms of things like saved Wifi info, etc., not any app updates. If I manually download an app I had, there seems to be no data for it on the new phone.

Do not understand why this is not working at all. Any thoughts or solutions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, not all apps sync data to Google -- it depends on the developer. There's no way to tell if an app backs up to Google unless the dev explicitly says it in the app description, or unless you go to your Dashboard after installing the app and letting it run for a while.

On the new phone, go to Settings>Backup & Reset. Is the Automatic Restore switch turned on?

stevekat

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I just double-checked the automatic restore is enabled.

It appears to me not a single non-Google app is present on the phone. It does not appear any app automatically downloaded. I did see a message that eventually 34 apps were updated, but these all appear to have been present on the new phone by default.

I also do not think any wifi logins came over.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you first set up the new Nexus 6, do you remember if it asked you if you want to restore apps and data from your Google account? It should have been part of the Setup Wizard.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
When you first set up the new Nexus 6, do you remember if it asked you if you want to restore apps and data from your Google account? It should have been part of the Setup Wizard.

Yeah, that would be my most likely scenario... on your phone before, the backup was disabled or not turned on. That is one of the questions asked on a 'first boot' setup.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that would be my most likely scenario... on your phone before, the backup was disabled or not turned on. That is one of the questions asked on a 'first boot' setup.

do you find it's any more reliable if you choose the option to "set up a new phone" from Google settings instead of just signing into your account and downloading--it seems to be the same thing, but maybe it actually transfers what's on your phone as opposed to what's backed up?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
do you find it's any more reliable if you choose the option to "set up a new phone" from Google settings instead of just signing into your account and downloading--it seems to be the same thing, but maybe it actually transfers what's on your phone as opposed to what's backed up?

"as new" doesn't restore anything from your google account. It just initializes the phone and attaches your Google account, then wipes its hands and walks away.

I am not all that sure what has happened to you at this point. I've done those Google network restores too many times to count and I haven't seen an instance like yours. On a rare occasion I've had the app restore cancel out while it was in progress, but that's about it.

stevekat

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
OK, success. I waited and waited for the new Nexus 6 to get the OTA update to Android 7 Nougat to match my older Nexus 6. With both phones on the same version of Android, I factory reset the new Nexus 6 and used Tap and Go successfully. I had to initiate the transfer three of four times but then it worked. It is such a nice process when it works. I cannot imagine doing this manually. Home screens transferred, app groups, accounts, wifi networks and passwords, all apps, many logins for apps were remembered. I had to move my texts over with a program. I had dumped my photos recently onto my computer so had none to move.

I infer from this that both phones need to be on the same version of Android. I don't know if it has to be the same exact version or just the same major version. Also, both my phones were identical make and model (except the original is 32GB and the new 64GB.)

BTW, Google Play that manages the automated app downloads crashed part way through, but i just restarted and everything continued.

Hope this helps someone. Nowhere could I get this answer. Motorola knew nothing. My carrier knew nothing. The best tip I got from message boards, was that if it reported a failure at the very beginning of the process to try again a few times (not the message I got if the process went along a bit and then reported an error.)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I am not all that sure what has happened to you at this point. I've done those Google network restores too many times to count and I haven't seen an instance like yours. On a rare occasion I've had the app restore cancel out while it was in progress, but that's about it.

This part, I think, was not meant for me....?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante