Say you lose your device/it gets stolen, how much is Android Device Manager really going to do for you?

Why are we able to shut down our devices without entering in the password?

I feel that this is a huge oversight? If my device gets stolen, all the person has to do is turn it off, and bam, ADM is completely useless. Sure, it will tell me where the last spot was, but that isn't going to be of a great deal of help.

Would it really be that hard for this to be available? I feel the security measure outweighs the "inconvenience" of having to put in my device password if I want to shut down or do a restart.

Has this been mentioned in the past? Is there a reason that I don't know about for why this isn't available?

Just spit balling some ideas here. Phones are supposed to only be getting better, right?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-29-2017 12:03 PM
    Same deal with SIM card. Even if the phone is on, they just have to remove it and your device becomes invisible, on ADM.
    01-29-2017 12:17 PM
    However, as long as you've set things up correctly, the device is still useless. It still can't be connected to another account once it's been factory reset. This is called the "killswitch" or Factory Reset Protection and will prevent all but the MOST determined from utilizing the device. I won't get into why I say it that way, as that would be discussion of bypassing a security feature.

I believe Apple works the same way - you can turn off an iPhone without knowing the unlock PIN, you can also remove the SIM.
    01-29-2017 12:47 PM
    This is not a real issue, because:
    • You can always put the phone in a cell signal blocking bag
    • If the battery is removable, you can remove it
    • you can always keep the screen on and drain the battery.

Factory Reset Protection, as others have pointed out, is the way to handle this, and still, it's not perfect. Any further kill switch will be really invasive, and I would not want it.
    01-31-2017 12:39 PM
    This is not a real issue, because:
    • You can always put the phone in a cell signal blocking bag
    • If the battery is removable, you can remove it
    • you can always keep the screen on and drain the battery.

Factory Reset Protection, as others have pointed out, is the way to handle this, and still, it's not perfect. Any further kill switch will be really invasive, and I would not want it.
    Yeah sure those are all ways of getting around it. There would always be ways around it.
    I really don't think having the option to enter a password upon shutdown being intrusive though. Just another tool in the tool bag.
    01-31-2017 05:35 PM
    ..Or you can drain the battery.

Of if the battery is removable, just take it out.
    01-31-2017 05:54 PM
    OP, you raise a very valid point that I've never considered; but I myself would totally be alright with entering in my password every time I powered off my device. Security is very important - especially when most phones cost "an arm and a leg" these days! I'd rather input my password every time I powered down my device than be nervous that if it got stolen, there's a chance I could never find it again.

Thank you for this insightful post!
    vpblaze likes this.
    01-31-2017 05:56 PM